Can't make a video call

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Re: Can't make a video call

I am having the same exact problem, I have a 3 yr old Dell and a less than 12 hour old HP, both of which skype was downloaded from the the skype webpage this morning, microhone and sound check out fine with mine as well, there is just no option to call via video, i have the two laptops in the same room connected on different routers and the only option I have is to call or SMS, video work on both and both show to be online!
brianspittler1
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 21 of 38 (2,368 Views)

Let's start with the new HP, which I assume is running Windows 7.

What version of Skype is installed?  Click on Help > About Skype to get the version number.

If you go to Tools > Options > Video settings do you see your own video?

How many Contacts are you seeing in your Contacts list?  And do they look like this:

Test1.jpg

Or like this:

Test2.jpg

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 941
Message 22 of 38 (2,341 Views)

Hi, thanks.  Yes, Windows 7.  Skype version is 5.5.59.124.  The contacts I can't make video calls to look like the icon on the "Test 1" icon you've showed.  And many of my contacts simply have the OUTLINE of that icon (i.e. white inside--no photo). ??  The ONE video call I CAN make is to my husband in the next room--and his icon looks like the "George" icon with the check mark in it.

Lisa

LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 23 of 38 (2,298 Views)

[ Edited ]

Ah.  Well, Test 1 is a telephone number only.  Test George is what a regular contact that is online looks like.  And the third one you desribed is a contact who is offline:

offline.jpg

There's also offline with call forwarding activated:

offline_forwarrd.jpg

To make a video call you need to be trying to call a contact that looks like George, or your husband.  :wink:

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 24 of 38 (2,291 Views)

I'm having a similar problem.  We've used this same laptop (Lenovo) to skype for the past two years, and we've never had any problem with our audio or video.  Now it doesn't recognize our webcam (tools -> options -> Skype couldn't find a webcam).  I just uninstalled skype and then reinstalled it, so I assume that we now have the latest version, but still no luck.  When I right click on any contact, it doesn't give "video call" as an option. Any suggestions?

majamaicaplain
Novel Tourist
Message 25 of 38 (2,143 Views)

majamaicaplain wrote:

I'm having a similar problem.  We've used this same laptop (Lenovo) to skype for the past two years, and we've never had any problem with our audio or video.  Now it doesn't recognize our webcam (tools -> options -> Skype couldn't find a webcam).  I just uninstalled skype and then reinstalled it, so I assume that we now have the latest version, but still no luck.  When I right click on any contact, it doesn't give "video call" as an option. Any suggestions?

My suggestion is rather than jumping on this thread, create a new thread/subject of your own, with details such as what version of Windows you're running; version of Skype, and any symptoms you can describe.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 26 of 38 (2,139 Views)

cant get video call button to highlite. please help so that we can use skype.

wwormy
Novel Tourist
Message 27 of 38 (2,113 Views)

thyou said you makelots of video calls --how do you do this I can't fugure it out ,,,from the home ppage what do you do ..thanks

Pharo
Novel Adventurer
Message 28 of 38 (2,070 Views)

I did the recent update and all the people I video call that i had on a list are gone.  how can you video call because i don't use the phone feature  thank you

patiodisney52
Novel Tourist
Message 29 of 38 (2,042 Views)

I have an ipad. Video call worked fine yesterday. But today, it only gives an option for video message. When I press it , I get myself on the camera. Please help
Posted from Apple iPad
Pambudden
Casual Tourist
Message 30 of 38 (1,474 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling