Re: Can't make a video call

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Thank you so much for trying to help me!  To answer your questions:  I have the same issue with all the names that have the green telephone icon by their name.  My brother can make Skype video calls with others.  In fact, my husband's Skype (in the next room!) does work.....I have Skype 5.5.0.124.  My status is "online."  I have cleared IE's browsing box.

And the photo you showed of what my choices SHOULD be is different from mine--I do not have a choice of video call when I right click.  My choices are:

Call

Send SMS message

View Profile

Rename

Edit contact

Add to category (this is shaded so can't choose)

Remove from category (ditto)

Block this person

View old messages

Remove from contacts

Oh, when my brother tries to video calll me, he got the message "other party has problems with sound device."

But my problems are with BOTH sound and video!  Any more ideas?  Thanks!

Lisa

LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 11 of 38 (2,789 Views)

Everything indicates that your contacts are phone-only contacts.  Are you definitely sure that they should have been Skype-to-Skype contacts?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 5979
Message 12 of 38 (2,774 Views)

Yes, they should be "Skype to Skype contacts"--because I've made video calls to them in the past! Thanks! Lisa

LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Message 13 of 38 (2,756 Views)

baci
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 14 of 38 (2,753 Views)

Ciao, baci--
unfortunately, your post is blank. I'd love to hear your solution!
Lisa
LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Message 15 of 38 (2,752 Views)

LisaA wrote:

Thank you so much for trying to help me!  To answer your questions:  I have the same issue with all the names that have the green telephone icon by their name.  My brother can make Skype video calls with others.  In fact, my husband's Skype (in the next room!) does work.....I have Skype 5.5.0.124.  My status is "online."  I have cleared IE's browsing box.

And the photo you showed of what my choices SHOULD be is different from mine--I do not have a choice of video call when I right click.  My choices are:

Call

Send SMS message

View Profile

Rename

Edit contact

Add to category (this is shaded so can't choose)

Remove from category (ditto)

Block this person

View old messages

Remove from contacts

Oh, when my brother tries to video calll me, he got the message "other party has problems with sound device."

But my problems are with BOTH sound and video!  Any more ideas?  Thanks!

Lisa

Maybe the problems with sound device and contacts appearing without Video option are interrelated? If Skype cannot connect to your sound device, it may not permit video calls either. Go to Tools -> Options -> Audio settings. What do you have there for Microphone and Speakers selections? Can you see Microphone reacting on any sound? What happens when you press the green button right of the Speakers selection?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 16 of 38 (2,745 Views)

I now have a new computer with version 5.5.59.124, and my audio and video works fine.  BUT I still can't make video calls to anyone except my husband in the next room!!  And the option "video call" isn't even there when I right click on the person's name.  (And I HAVE made video calls to this person in the past....)  Any other ideas?  Thanks!!  I'm going crazy with this problem!

Lisa

LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Message 17 of 38 (2,712 Views)

Have you tried to make a test call to Echo123?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 18 of 38 (2,677 Views)

Yes, I have made a test call, and the microphone works fine.

LisaA
Routine Adventurer
Message 19 of 38 (2,671 Views)

Can you make a screenshot of your contact list showing your husband, to whom you can make a video call, and another contact to whom you can’t? Please, attach this screenshot here.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 20 of 38 (2,633 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling