Can’t login. Redirected to C:/ProgramData/Skype/Ap...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Can’t login. Redirected to C:/ProgramData/Skype/Apps/login/

[ Edited ]

This is a very common problem. Skype 5.5 and later depends heavily on Internet Explorer (IE) and Windows Scripting Engine. Skype login requires now Internet Explorer being able to access JavaScript and execute ActiveX. On some systems with particular settings in IE, this is apparently not possible. There are currently more than 200 different threads on this community forum dealing with this issue. In some cases the problem can be fixed applying the “Fix It” procedure from

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140

Unfortunately, this “Fix”, which is aimed to re-establish or repair Windows Scripting Engine, will not work in all cases.

In some cases updating your Internet Explorer to the latest available version on your computer (IE9 on Vista and Windows 7) may help. In other cases, uninstalling IE (especially when the installed version was IE9), may help to resolve the problem. In this case, Windows will automatically revert to the previously installed version of IE.

You can also try with resetting IE to default factory settings. See this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings-in-Internet-Explorer-9

Note that the question is always with Internet Explorer, even if you are using another browser to access the web.

If everything else fails, you can use this temporary solution:

Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes. Open C:\Program Files\ folder. If you have 64-bit Windows then it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder. Find the Skype folder and then Phone. Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut). Right click on the newly created shortcut and select Properties and then the Shortcut tab. In the Target field you will see now: "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" (or with (x86) if you are on 64-bit Windows). Click with your mouse on the text in the Target field and move your curser one space after the last quotation sign and add the text /legacylogin. The text in the Target field should now read:

"C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /legacylogin

Click OK to save the changes. Start Skype using this new shortcut.

The extra /legacylogin switch in the shortcut forces Skype to use the “old” login window, which was not dependent on Internet Explorer.

Note that this temporary solution will most likely enable login to Skype but some other functions may still not be available. Particularly, you may still not be able to use the “Add a contact” function.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6943
Message 1 of 43 (31,702 Views)

Re: Can’t login. Redirected to C:/ProgramData/Skype/Apps/login/

THANK YOU! :bigsmile:
IT WORKS! :bigsmile:
Eluvies
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 43 (31,339 Views)

Dear Support,

Thank you for your swift reply! I've used the ''if everything else fails'' sollution and now I am able to login :(y):!

But just like the pre-installed version I am not able to add,lookup or import new contacts.  Every time I try to look someone up I just get the ''signature screen'' ( blue white clowds etc.) that says nothing (see attachement)

I hope you can help me out with this as well.

I am looking forward to your reply!

Kind regards,

Arne

arneburger
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 43 (30,915 Views)

The problem is with Internet Explorer and jscript.dll. What do you see when you open this page in your Internet Explorer?

https://apps.skype.com/friendfinder

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 43 (30,901 Views)

up to here everything instruction works "Quit Skype. Make sure that you don’t see any Skype.exe processes in Windows Task Manager. If necessary, then stop these processes. Open C:\Program Files\ folder. If you have 64-bit Windows then it should be C:\Program Files (x86)\ folder. Find the Skype folder and then Phone. Right click on the Skype.exe file and select: Send to – Desktop (create shortcut).", but then to add the path seems to be impossible. How do I solve to put text in the target field like you described?
rasanthaus
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 43 (30,149 Views)

What exactly is the "impossible" part? What is the text you are seeing now in the Target field of the new shortcut?

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 43 (30,135 Views)

Brilliant, the fix method 2 worked straight off.

warlow4
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 43 (29,941 Views)

I have my account nikitta.cz about 8 years maybe older, from Friady 16.12.2011 I can not sign in. It writes that name and password can not be recognized, if i try to reset password and use my mail, it writes mail is not recognized. I don t understand whats happend. I have Win 7, and change nothing in my installation last two weeks. Now I m here on my second account, but I need to use my old account. Can somebody help me pleas? Thanks.

razitka
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 43 (29,682 Views)

The /legacylogin did work and solved my problem on 5.7. Looks to me that Skype has this issue and should find a hotfix for both 5.5 and 5.7

Notsosure
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 43 (29,292 Views)

[ Edited ]

razitka wrote:

I have my account nikitta.cz about 8 years maybe older, from Friady 16.12.2011 I can not sign in. It writes that name and password can not be recognized, if i try to reset password and use my mail, it writes mail is not recognized. I don t understand whats happend. I have Win 7, and change nothing in my installation last two weeks. Now I m here on my second account, but I need to use my old account. Can somebody help me pleas? Thanks.

Skype continues to support its products and services until integration is complete with Microsoft. Please continue to work directly with Skype.

There isn't a telephone # to contact Skype.

I suggest you, File a support request or send an email directly to Skype and explain your problem in detail like above and they will be able to sort it.

Customer Support:

https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA1170/How-can-I-contact-Skype-Customer-Service

https://support.skype.com/en/support_request?needsLogin=false

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6462
Message 10 of 43 (29,290 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling