Can't install New Skype installation, as installer...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Can't install New Skype installation, as installer says old installation still running

Hiya,

I've tried installing Skype as Microsoft Windows Live Messenger is supposed to be replaced by it.

When downloading Skype from the official website or using the upgrade through Windows Live Messenger, I get a windows message telling me another installation is in progress and needs to be finished before it can continue the installation process.

- I've restarted the computer, just to make sure if any other installers are running. No joy.

- I've temporarily disabled the Firewall/AV (Norton). No joy.

- I've checked through %appdata%\Skype if older Skype installs are present. No joy

- I've checked through appwiz.cpl if older Skype installs are present or depecrated. No joy.

System used:

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit

Norton Internet Security AV/Firewall

Below a screencap of the (dutch) message shown:

Skype install.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

This widget could not be displayed.
ruwim
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

Reboot your computer and try to install Skype using this msi-installer for the currently latest 6.1.0.129 version:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

View solution in original post
rabhingm
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 23 (2,481 Views)

Re: Can't install New Skype installation, as installer says old installation still running

It says that you got another installation running my tip is Delete skype just totaly erase it and install the newest version

thommytv
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 23 (2,451 Views)

Re: Can't install New Skype installation, as installer says old installation still running

ThommyTV wrote:

,, It says that you got another installation running my tip is Delete skype just totaly erase it and install the newest version''

I wrote earlier:

- I've checked through %appdata%\Skype if older Skype installs are present. No joy

- I've checked through appwiz.cpl if older Skype installs are present or depecrated. No joy.

With that I meant to say: No other/older/current Skype installation present to my knowledge or I can't find them the way you're supposed to be able to find them.

rabhingm
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 23 (2,448 Views)

Yea i saw that and my tip was just delete it and reinstall it

thommytv
Novel Adventurer
Message 4 of 23 (2,438 Views)

Can you be more specific, how to do what you propose below?

,,Yea i saw that and my tip was just delete it and reinstall it''

I haven't been able to find Skype on my HDD.

Neither bij searching in %appdata%\Skype, nor through appwiz.cpl

Perhaps you mean looking for it (and then deleting) it by another means.

If so (or otherwise) please specify.

Deleting the downloaded installationpackage doesn't make any difference either.

When downloading and executing the (newly) downloaded installationpackage, I still get the same error, also after a fresh (cold) start.

rabhingm
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 23 (2,435 Views)

Reboot your computer and try to install Skype using this msi-installer for the currently latest 6.1.0.129 version:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6255
Message 6 of 23 (2,427 Views)

@Ruwim:

You sir are a lifesafer!

Solution worked, problem solved.

Thank you!!

rabhingm
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 23 (2,414 Views)

Great :(y):.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6255
Message 8 of 23 (2,326 Views)

Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12837
Message 9 of 23 (725 Views)

Um, no. It simply means that the skype installer somehow assumes that there is a version already installed/in the process of being installed. I get that message and don't have skype installed on this computer; in fact, have never had it installed on this computer.

It is curious that this problem--which, if I were Microsoft--I would take seriously, is being addressed quite poorly (if at all) by the company.

Yamhill
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 23 (819 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling