Can't Install Skype

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Can't Install Skype

Everytime I try to install Skype, on both windows install versions, I end up getting this message. "We are having problems connecting to the download server. To download an alternate installer for Skype, click the "Download button."

iHoodStar21
Novel Adventurer

Accepted Solution

Never mind. I did the .msi trick and I got it to install.
View solution in original post
iHoodStar21
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 17 (7,038 Views)

Re: Can't Install Skype

Hello?
iHoodStar21
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 17 (6,942 Views)

Never mind. I did the .msi trick and I got it to install.
iHoodStar21
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 17 (6,940 Views)

so...what is the solution? I am getting the error message. Where to go for the solution to the problem????

thanks,
lindaglisson
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 17 (6,923 Views)

lindaglisson wrote:
so...what is the solution? I am getting the error message. Where to go for the solution to the problem????

thanks,

Please delete your IE ("Internet Explorer") browser cache, cookies and temp files and try again using a IE browser window, even if IE is not your default browser.

A new version has just been released September 29th, 2011:

Please download/install this version from here, when prompted click the open or run button: http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

This new version is 5.6.0.105 to check what version you have, using the main Skype client window please do:

Help -> About Skype

Release Notes: http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/09/skype_56_for_windows_with_improved_screen_sharing_release_note...

Note: There is also an update release for 5.5 if you want to use it instead 5.5.0.119 released as well, same date.

More here: http://blogs.skype.com/garage/2011/09/skype_55_for_windows_update_release_notes.html

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 797
Message 5 of 17 (6,901 Views)

I get the message can't open with this architecture or something like that.  Is my computer too old? G5

xurxo
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 17 (6,632 Views)

When I try to install Skype, I get the following message:

'Installing Skype failed: code 1618. Another Skype installation is already in progress. Complete that installation before proceeding with this install.'

But I have never tried to install Skype before! Please help. I cleared the browsing history, temporary files and caches, but still no luck.

kirsti_kontor
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 17 (6,478 Views)

Open your Windows Task Manager – Processes tab. Look for any processes saying something about SkypeSetup or msiexec.exe. Close these processes. It’s best to reboot your computer and so restart downloading Skype.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6510
Message 8 of 17 (6,467 Views)

I tried all these suggestions and still get the same message.

aphdes
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 17 (6,382 Views)

i can't install my skype softwere plz tell some soloution

usmanbutt635
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 17 (6,103 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling