Can not install

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Can not install

I had Skype installed & working, then received update a few days ago that automatically installed. It got half way through then stopped with message that said it could not complete installation because I did not have Admin. privileges. I DO! and it was working up to that point. From that point on it no longer worked. I tried to reinstall it but it would not. I uninstalled everything and tried a clean install. I now get the message: "The installer has insufficent privileges to access this directory C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Start menu\Programs\Skype and says to log on as Administrator. I already am. I am the Administrator & have no problems installing any other software.

ruwim
Community Ambassador

Accepted Solution

I must admit that I’ve run out of ideas how to solve the permissions issue. There was another, similar problem reported her, but the issue was due to McAfee and you have tried to turn your AVG off.

community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Insufficient-privileges-to-modify-this-file-C-Program-Files/td-p/39706/page/2

However, if you want, you can always create the so called portable Skype installation, which actually doesn’t require any installation program. If you follow the method outlined here

community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/Searching-for-a-person-in-a-specific-country/m-p/178200#M1472

you will be able to setup any version of Skype on your computer without using any installation program. The only what you need is a copy of Skype.exe file. If you know someone who can provide you with this file, then this would be the best solution. If not, then I have uploaded a copy of Skype.exe ver 5.5.0.119 (as a zip file) here:

rapidshare.com/files/3307678749/Skype_550119.zip?bin=1 (add https:// in front of this link)

View solution in original post
donfisher052
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 17 (1,703 Views)

Re: Can not install

This may help you:

answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/cannot-install-any-new-programs-start-menu-has/8aa1eb74-532c-42de-8b99-bde8c7d43270

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6601
Message 2 of 17 (1,595 Views)

Tried the link...copied the instructions and did what it said...rebooted. Still will not install. Still get the same message as before.

donfisher052
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 17 (1,567 Views)

What Antivirus or other security software do you have installed on your computer? Perhaps you can temporary disable your antivirus and try to install again.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 17 (1,558 Views)

I'm running AVG, the full version. Turned it off & tried the install. Still no go. Same message.

donfisher052
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 17 (1,548 Views)

If you go to this folder: C:\Programdata\Microsoft\Windows\Start menu\Programs\Skype, what do you see there? Is there a file named Skype and with type Shortcut? If you go to the folder: C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone (replace Program Files with Program Files (x86) if your Windows is 64 bit), can you see there file named Skype.exe?
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 17 (1,540 Views)

There is NO Skype in any of these folders. Because I could not get Skype to work ever since it automatically updated itself & even after a reinstall, I uninstalled it & tried a new install. As of now I have no Skype in any folder. That's the problem. I am trying a new install & it won't let me.

BTW, I'm running Windows 7 x64.

donfisher052
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 17 (1,534 Views)

Make sure that you can see hidden files and folders (see this: forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=74220). Open the directory C:\ProgramData. Can you see there a folder with the name Skype?
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 17 (1,526 Views)

Yes. BTW, I had already done that with hidden folders.

donfisher052
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 17 (1,514 Views)

OK. You should see there one or more subfolders with a very long name and all encapsulated in curl brackets “{}”. Open the one with the most recent date. You should see there a file with the name Skype.msi. Right click on this file and select Install.
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 17 (1,509 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling