CAN'T POP OUT VIDEO ON SKYPE 5.8.0.158 ???

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

CAN'T POP OUT VIDEO ON SKYPE 5.8.0.158 ???

Am I missing a button or something? I've looked all over the place but after Skype AUTOMATICALLY updated itself today I could no longer pop my video out to keep it always on top. Is there a NEW way to keep the video always on top? Why remove such an important feature???

chrisellesy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (6,860 Views)

Re: CAN'T POP OUT VIDEO ON SKYPE 5.8.0.158 ???

The old, well functioning, pop-out screen is indeed now removed in Skype and replaced with new, actually two functions. Please, don’t ask me why. In Skype 5.5 you can get a small pop-up screen by activating the menu item pop-up, which you will get using the monitor icon on the video taskbar (the rightmost icon). This pop-up screen will stay on top of all other windows but cannot be resized. If you are using Skype 5.6 or later version, then the new pop-up screen will be automatically activated whenever your video window is not in focus and disappear again when you focus the video window. You can depress the new auto pop-up function by un-checking the option: “Show call controls when Skype is in the background”. This option is available from Tools -> Options -> Call settings -> Show advanced options. When this option is deactivated, the pop-up function will behave in the same way as in Skype 5.5.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6429
Message 2 of 5 (6,751 Views)

Thank you. I still don't understand why it's not resizable. For my computer's resolution, this tiny little window is hardly enough....

With the option checked however the little pop up doesn't come up when the window isn't in focus. Any idea why?
chrisellesy
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (6,742 Views)

If you have unchecked this option, then you now must manually activate the pop-out window. The pop-out menu is now like it was in 5.5, i.e. you need to click on the monitor icon and then on the pop-out menu.

Unfortunately, there is no way to make the pop-out window resizable.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6429
Message 4 of 5 (6,739 Views)

Yes I noticed that, thank you. To clarify, I was wondering why the pop up window wasnt appearing even if the option WAS checked. Any ideas?
chrisellesy
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 5 (6,737 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling