Blank white space when I click take a picture to c...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Blank white space when I click take a picture to change profile picture

[ Edited ]

I am not able to take a picture using my webcam while on Skype. Just shows a blank white space where the image should be. I have checked the video settings and the webcam shows the image fine. I can see myself on the video. The webcam will take a picture when I test it through the webcam capture software.

I have been able to take profile pictures with no problem in the past while on Skype. The difference is within the last few days, I have set up my son's new laptop which has Windows 8 using wireless router. I downloaded the Skype desktop for Windows 8 as this is easier to use than the app version. The unexplained part is that this not taking picture problem happens with both my windows vista desk top and his new laptop as well. So two different webcams are being used. My Skype version is 6.3.0.105.

Does this sound like some sort of settings issue? If anyone has any ideas for resolution, please share. Thanks.

Status Update:

Okay, I did some checking and clicked on some suggested past post that had similar problems. Person said they uninstalled the 6.3 Skype version and recommended a 6.1 version link. Link is: http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi I tried this and now the problem is gone. I am able to take pictures to change my profile pic through Skype. The only concern I have is that newer versions of anything should not cause malfunctions. Using an older version may eventually cause a compatibilty issue with other users. Skype needs to address this with the 6.3 version.

ris4312
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 14 (10,849 Views)

Re: Blank white space when I click take a picture to change profile picture

i have a new lap top, reinstalled skype, no picture comes up on my profile, showed up fine on the old lap top witch had windows 7 now i have windows 8, how do i get my picture to come thanks Greg.

gregnock1
Tourist
Message 2 of 14 (10,514 Views)

me too
sethnelson1
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 14 (9,073 Views)

Have you tried to revert to the older Skype 6.1.0.129 version?

Try to uninstall the currently installed version and install the older 6.1.0.129 version using this msi-installer:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.1.0.129.msi

After installing this version, make sure to disable the Automatic updates:

Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Automatic updates ->Turn off automatic updates

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6325
Message 4 of 14 (9,066 Views)

Hey I'm having the same problem and I downgraded my Skype to 6.1

Is it safe to install the latest version now?

squallkid24
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (8,060 Views)

I'm using Skype v. 6.6.32.106. Still not fixed. Is this going to be fixed anytime soon?

hitlechro
Casual Tourist
Message 6 of 14 (7,472 Views)

I just had the same problem - when I signed today Skype immediately updated the program and when I tried to update my profile pic just got white spaces

nvsinwc
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (5,417 Views)

Try to update your Skype to the very latest 6.7.0.102 version:

http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_6.7.0.102.msi

If this will still not help then try to revert to the older 6.1.0.129 version:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-desktop-client/Blank-white-space-when-I-click-take-a-picture-t...

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 14 (5,412 Views)

even though I assumed the fact Skyoe automatically WAS updating me to latest version I do a manual update and now pic loads but must say I am annoyed I has to spend so much time on this task

nvsinwc
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 14 (5,399 Views)

Skype 6.7.0.102 is not yet the ”recommended” version, and therefore is not provided by Automatic Updates.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Message 10 of 14 (5,380 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling