Re: Blank Add Contacts Screen

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving
Accepted Solution

Blank Add Contacts Screen

So, I haven't used Skype for a bit, and apparently my computer updated IE9 for me and now Skype won't work.  I went and installed the latest versions of Java and Skype and I can connect to the Skype "app test" page on the 64-bit version of IE9 but I can't on the regular version and so I can't really do anything with my Skype.

I went and looked at a few other threads and changed the login folder to login and tried using command prompts, but the on for IE9 did not work properly when I did that.  I went back and tried to re-update it but still no luck.  I've been looking around these forums all day and haven't really found anything that has helped.

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7 at the moment, if that helps at all.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

This widget could not be displayed.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

I'd suggest you try uinstalling IE 9.  See if Skype will work normally when you're rolled back to IE 8.  Then, you can reinstall IE 9.  See this MS link if you need help doing that:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

View solution in original post
Dredam
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 10 (3,385 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try these steps created by fellow user ruwim to see if they correct your problem:

Go to Windows Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on Command Prompt, select 'Run as administrator'.

The Command Prompt window should show:

C:\Windows\SysWoW64>

If this is not the case, then at the Command Prompt type: cd c:\windows\SysWoW64 and press Enter.

Once you see C:\Windows\SysWoW64>

Type this and then press Enter:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

Next type this and press Enter:

regsvr32 jscript9.dll

After each Enter you should receive a message saying that DllRegisterServer in XXX.dll succeeded.

Reboot your computer.

Make now the test showing if your Internet Explorer can execute JavaScript.

Open in your Internet Explorer (no other browser but only IE 32-bit version) this page:

http://www.mistered.us/test/alert.shtml

Click on the “Simply Click This Button” button and watch the response.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 907
Message 2 of 10 (3,356 Views)

The regsvr32 jscript9.dll gives me an error saying "The module jscript9.dll was loaded but the call to DllResigisterServer failed with error code 0x80004005."

Dredam
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (3,353 Views)

I'd suggest you try uinstalling IE 9.  See if Skype will work normally when you're rolled back to IE 8.  Then, you can reinstall IE 9.  See this MS link if you need help doing that:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/how-do-i-install-or-uninstall-internet-explorer-9

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 10 (3,344 Views)

Ok, so after uninstalling the IE9 update, everything works fine again!  Thanks!

Dredam
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (3,338 Views)

:(y):

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 10 (3,314 Views)

I have tried all the suggestions listed in this set and none of them work. I can't uninstall IR9 as it does not appear in the list of programmes. I can't uninstall Skype as it also does not appear in the list of programmes and I can't get the Skype homepage - ite never loads and I keep getting blank screen when I try to add new contact. Skype is on a laptop running Windows 7. Any ideas?

rick_farrar
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (2,733 Views)

[ Edited ]
What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

What do you see when you open this page in your Internet Explorer (must be Internet Explorer even if you are using another browser!!)?

https://apps.skype.com/friendfinder/
ruwim
Community Ambassador
Kudos: 6069
Message 8 of 10 (2,705 Views)

Thank you for the email sent by you. I have done as you requested but I am still getting a blank screen when I try to add a new contact and I now can't get the Skype Home.

rick_farrar
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (2,694 Views)

This may be that your TLS settings are unchecked.  See my post at http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows/Can-t-Add-Contacts/m-p/1035400#M77381

EricTheByteMan
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 10 (1,390 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling