Best Skype-compatible webcam to use with Windows X...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Best Skype-compatible webcam to use with Windows XP on older Dell Dimension 4400?

I'm brand new to Skype, so please forgive me if I'm asking a question with an obvious (to you) answer.  I'd appreciate some advice:

Just yesterday I had a very serious crash of my Dell Studio XPS 9000 (Windows 7) after installing Skype and a Logitech c910 vodeocam. Later, I read online of some folks having trouble with the c910 on Windows 7, and some experiencing compatibility problems between Skype and Windows 7. So, after spending a lot of time and effort getting the XPS 9000 up and running again (it wouldn't even start Windows properly!) I've removed skype and the drivers for the Logitech from the XPS.

Instead I thought I'd install Skype on my older Dell Dimension 4400 (Windows XP, service pack 2) and, after sending back the Logitech c910, get a Skype-supported videocam that would work well with the older Dell computer. Which videocam (preferably with mike) would you recommend under these circumstances? Both computers have high speed internet connections. The older Dell Dimension 4400 has a 2 GH pentium 4 processor, 512 MB DDR SDRAM (266MHz), 16 MB ATI Rage ultra 4x AGP graphics card. Of course, this is pretty slow stuff next to the 2010-vintage XPS, but I can't afford to risk another crash like I just experienced last night with the XPS.

I posed this same question to the Skype online technical expert, only to be told to go to the Skype webpage with the recommended webcams.  I hadn't found any info on that page that would help me answer my question.

Many thanks in advance. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

wcrr1099
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (11,655 Views)

Re: Best Skype-compatible webcam to use with Windows XP on older Dell Dimension 4400?

I meantto say "webcam," not "videocam," in my post sorry. 

wcrr1099
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 5 (11,312 Views)

Re: Best Skype-compatible webcam to use with Windows XP on older Dell Dimension 4400?

I have been using the Ligitech C910 for a while now with Windows XP SP3 and linux with no issues. Everyone I use it with is amazed at the quality of the video. I also have an older Logitech Sphere or is it Orbit, not sure the exact model, that also works good. I have used both cams with both my computers but mostly use the C910 with a linux desktop I built running an AMD quad core chip and ATI graphics card, and the sphere with a Lenovo T500. Seems like your issue might be more with Windows 7 than the webcam. I am not sure if you can do much better than the C910 right now. Speaking of your old computer that you had problems with windows on, I would highly recommend installing linux. It will run a lot better on older hardware than windows.
-MJ-
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 3 of 5 (11,302 Views)

[ Edited ]

wcrr1099 wrote:
I thought I'd install Skype on my older Dell Dimension 4400 (Windows XP, service pack 2) and, after sending back the Logitech c910, get a Skype-supported videocam that would work well.

Logitech C910 works flawlessly on all (older) machines with XP+SP3 I ever tested. It is the first device to deliver a true equivalent to camcorder + capture card that I have been using in the last ten years. I'd recommend to keep it.

-MJ- wrote:
I mostly use the C910 with a linux desktop.

*Slightly off topic*  What distri? I'd like to test it in a virtual machine with ubuntu or mandriva.

De Dom en Kölle · Lösungen zu den häufigsten Problemen im Forum.
If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a Kudo: click on   + thumb-up ↘

Wenn du meine Bemühungen ok findest, gib mir bitte einen Kudo ↘
kicks-mobil
Explorer
Kudos: 631
Message 4 of 5 (11,293 Views)

kicks-mobil wrote:
*Slightly off topic*  What distri? I'd like to test it in a virtual machine with ubuntu or mandriva.

I have tried a few different distros but I always ended up going back to LinuxMint.  It's pretty much all I have been using for the last year or so.  Mint has always just worked after install, without the need to install anything else.  It's based off Ubuntu, so pretty much anything that works on Ubuntu will work on Mint.  Right now I'm using Mint 11, 64bit.

-MJ-
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 5 (11,278 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling