Automatically logs me off, try to log in, I get a ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Automatically logs me off, try to log in, I get a Disc I/O error, can't log in

Every once and a while, skype will log me off. I go to log back in, and I receive a Disc I/O error. It tells me to quit skype and try again. When I do this, I either get the same error, or the log in window does not fully load. I have already uninstalled and re-insalled the latest version from the website. I have even done the whole change the skype folder to old_skype, etc. I still get logged off sooner or later in the day, and the cycle repeats itself. The only fix is for me to restart my computer, and then I can log in. But I get logged off within the day.

I have Windows 7 Professional with SP1 32 bit, and McAfee Antivirus.

Can anyone help me out?

Not sure if this is related, but prior to the first time I was automatically logged out, I also lost my contacts. When I logged back in after restarting my computer after installing the latest version, contacts were gone, and they have no returned ever since (aside from the few that have called me that now do appear).

Clinton

clint0nwang
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 11 (794 Views)

Re: Automatically logs me off, try to log in, I get a Disc I/O error, can't log in

uninstall the current NORMAL Skype with Revo (remove all registry entries)

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

reinstall latest BUSINESS Skype with this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6304
Message 2 of 11 (778 Views)

Re: Automatically logs me off, try to log in, I get a Disc I/O error, can't log in

Tamim,

Thank you for your suggestions. I used revo to uninstall completely (using the most thorough option and deleted all associated files) and installed the business Skype. Within a few hours, I was automatically logged off, and when I tried to log back in, I still got the Disc I/O error. I closed skype with task manager and reopen skype, and the login window was weird, only displaying text and no graphics. Closed it again and tried it one more time, still received the I/O error.

I restarted my computer and loggined in successfully. Is there anything else I could try?

clint0nwang
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (743 Views)

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed on your computer?

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 4 of 11 (735 Views)

Tamim,

I have McAfee total protection. Would this effect my Skype?

clint0nwang
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (728 Views)

Do you have Samsung KIES installed on your computer?

try to add skype to McAfee's trusted programs list

In McAfeeSecurityCenter >> Web and Email Protectioon >> Firewall >> Internet Connections for Programs >> Program >> Look for Skype >> Make sure it has Full access using the Edit button.

you can also try switching Netguard off.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 6 of 11 (724 Views)

Tamin,

I do not have Samsun KIES.

Skype does have full access with McAfee but NetGuard was on so I took it off. Let's see if this works? In the mean time, can you think of anything else?

clint0nwang
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 11 (697 Views)

[ Edited ]

Go to your SkypeUserName folder in the AppData directory and delete all the lock, db-journal files.

Regards,
Tamim

Tamim
Super Aviator
Message 8 of 11 (695 Views)

I closed and quit Skype, Deleted all .lock and .db-journal files in my user name folder(nothing else, not even .lck or .repair-journal, etc). i opened Skype and it signed me in automatically. We shall see if I get kicked off! Thanks Tamim, will let you know!
clint0nwang
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (687 Views)

Tamim, I haven't been logged off or received the Disc i/o error once so far in the past day and a half! Thanks for your help! I'm not sure if it was between making the adjustments in McAfee or the deleting of the lock and db-journal files.

My contact list is still gone but I already notified skype and they are working on it. Thanks again!

clint0nwang
Casual Adventurer
Message 10 of 11 (663 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling