Audio not working, video working

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Audio not working, video working

Hello,  I am trying to talk with someone via skype.  The video works but the audio does not.  They are using a Mac, and me a PC.  I have made a test call to test MY audio and it repeats my voice correctly.  I have checked the settings on the Mac computer and they are working,  he says he can talk with other people and hear them just fine but he can see me but not hear me.

Please help

TKuhnpcktwn
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 13 (26,191 Views)

Re: Audio not working, video working

If you try an audio only call with that contact, can he hear you then?

Do you have the problem with just that one contact or with more than one?

If you're on a call when the problem is happening, do you get any error message from Skype, like "Your mic is very quiet?"

If during a call you click on Tools > Options > Audio settings, can you see green boxes in the volume bar when you talk?

And what version of Skype are you running?  Click on Help > About Skype for the specific version number.

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 939
Message 2 of 13 (26,127 Views)

No I do not get any error message whatsoever he just cant hear anything I'm saying. Sometimes he gets static, sometimes he doesn't.

Yes, during a call to one-another i can see the microphone green bars going back and forth

I'm running version 5.5.0.124
TKuhnpcktwn
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 13 (26,124 Views)

TKuhnpcktwn wrote:

Yes, during a call to one-another i can see the microphone green bars going back and forth

I'm not clear on your meaning.  Is that on the call where the other end doesn't hear you, you do see the green bars, or is that on another call where someone does hear you?

In the meantime, there have been several newer versions released since the version you're running.  You might update to see if it makes any difference.  The current version as of today is 5.8.0.158 and you can download the full installer via this link:

http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 4 of 13 (26,120 Views)

Sorry, yes the bars in the audio options are going up and down on the call when the other person CANNOT hear me.

And I just updated to the newest version and unfortunately nothing happened
TKuhnpcktwn
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 13 (26,116 Views)

When you say nothing happened, do you mean you have the same problem being heard, or the update was not successful?

If you click on Help > About Skype, does it show 5.8.0.158 now?

And I'm still try to get this clear....do you have other contacts, besides the one with the Mac, and can they hear you?

That and does the problem happen with the Mac contact if you do an audio only call?

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 6 of 13 (26,114 Views)

Yes sorry, i updated and it was a successful update, but I still have the same problem being heard. And yes it shows that version you listed.

No I do not have any other contacts I just have the one on my list.

I haven't tried the audio only call he said he doesnt have credits or whatever for it.

Not sure if it matters but i did the sound test call and it worked completely fine and repeated my voice back.
TKuhnpcktwn
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 13 (26,110 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, you mentioned the sound test. 

I didn't mean a phone call for the audio only, and you don't need credits for Skype-to-Skype audio only call.  When you call your contact, just click on Call rather than Video call, and have him answer but not answer with video.

Or you could start a video call and then each turn off your webcams.

Here's my thinking at this point:

The problem could be something strange at your end but I suspect the problem is with the Mac.  I can't guess why he'd have the problem just with you and not other contacts, but it seems like that's what's happening.  I wish you had another contact to try call with to confirm or disprove my thinking.

Ask the Mac guy to click on Skype > About Skype.  If he isn't running version 5.5.0.2340, he should try updating too.

g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Message 8 of 13 (26,107 Views)

ok that was weird, tried the audio only call and he could hear me for about 15seconds then all of a sudden it just stopped.
TKuhnpcktwn
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 13 (26,103 Views)

See if you microphone has the option to suppress background noise and face your speakers away from the direction of the microphone.

For more:
 http://www.techyv.com/questions/skype-shows-error-when-sharing-sound

danielpunk
Casual Tourist
Message 10 of 13 (26,095 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling