Re: Audio Artifacting?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Audio Artifacting?

At least I think that's what it would be called. It seems that, no matter who I talk to over Skype, their voice artifacts.

To give a general idea of what's happening, I can give an example scenario. I call a friend, let's call them Craig, for anonymity.

Me: "Hey Craig, what's up?"

Craig: "Nothing much, what about you?"

Me: "Eh, about to play some video games."

Craig: "Hey, that sound(s)-(m)uch-(f)un, can I join?" (Bits in parenthesis are not audible in the call.)

And it just goes on like that, as if it's taking little bits of what the other person says and randomly inserting it into their speech. It also happens when a person is speaking for a prolonged period of time, and it's always the other person, usually the one that's speaking currently, cutting themselves off, so to speak. According to everyone that I regularly speak with, they don't hear it coming from my end, either, and I can hear it from most of them.

I've already tried reinstalling Skype and even moving from a wireless to a wired Internet connection. Nothing seems to help it and I can't find any evidence of it being a problem on the Web, so I'm at a loss for things to try. Any help would be appreciated.

carbondragon
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (144 Views)

Hi,

First, please check whether this is causing your sound quality problems:

(For Windows)

1. In the Skype menu bar, click Call > Audio Settings.
2. Untick Automatically adjust microphone settings.
3. Untick Automatically adjust speaker settings.
4. Ensure that the Volume for both Microphone and Speakers is over 50% by moving the sliders over to the right.
5. Click Save.
6. Call echo123 to test whether this has resolved your sound quality problems.

Please try to call other contacts of yours. If this issue happened to that specific contact only, please let him check his connection, suggest to steps above and make sure that he has the latest version of Skype.

Please also visit this link to learn more on how to improve the call quality in Skype:
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA10746/

I hope this helps.

Jestoni

Did this answer your question or resolve your issue?
Mark it as a solution and click on :(y): Kudos button.
Jestoni
Former Staff
Kudos: 22
Message 2 of 5 (122 Views)

Firstly, I apologize for responding so late.

Second, I tried the steps you suggested and the echo test showed no artifacting.

However, I have some new information that might be useful in resolving my issue. I recently played with a friend who lives fairly close to me (a mile or so) and he didn't not appear to be artifacting like my other friends were (one in Utah, one in Germany). He is in a different ISP than I am.

The friends in Utah and Germany can speak with one another with no problems, so it seems it might be something on my end. The issue is that Skype is the only program having these issues. Games and other streaming media don't have any issues whatsoever.

carbondragon
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (93 Views)

Hello,

We have recently released the new version of Skype for Windows desktop today. Please download and install it, set your audio settings and try to make calls again.

If it's still not working, please indicate the complete version number of Skype application installed on your computer (Help>About Skype).

You can also follow the steps from this link on how to contact Skype customer service:

https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1170/how-can-i-contact-skype-customer-service

Jestoni

Did this answer your question or resolve your issue?
Mark it as a solution and click on :(y): Kudos button.
Jestoni
Former Staff
Kudos: 22
Message 4 of 5 (61 Views)

I've got the newest version of Skype installed, just checked before posting.

My version is 6.6.0.106, according to Help > About Skype.

The issue is persisting just as bad as it ever has, and we have actually moved away from Skype for more crucial conversations where the features of Skype are not needed (screenshare, video, ect).

carbondragon
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 5 (47 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling