After update to 5.8 skype still doesn't work

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

After update to 5.8 skype still doesn't work

Skype has updated from an older version to the newest version and now no longer lets me connect, its not the internet, its not my firewall, its not my windows none of these factors have changed its just skype I pay for two separate subscriptions and use it as a work phone so im really stuck.

nathstradamus
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 9 (2,259 Views)

Re: After update to 5.8 skype still doesn't work

What are the symptoms when you start Skype and try to sign in?

What version of Windows are you running?

Please note: I do not respond to requests for help via Private Message.
g4pilut
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 916
Message 2 of 9 (2,122 Views)

i have the same problem.
as soon as i sign in it goes not responding. have tryed to reinstall it a few times cheacked the firewall and nothing seems to work
benninn
Novel Tourist
Message 3 of 9 (2,114 Views)

I have the same problem. I've tried 5.5 and 5.8. I have also tried deleting the shared.xml file. Skype starts but when i go to sign in it crashes.

Previously on 5.5 (just today before i updated skype) an error msg (about a skype add-on) was also coming up every time I ran firefox but i fixed that by updating java.

Skype was working fine for me this morning.

hugm
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 9 (2,103 Views)

my skype suddenly started givin me problms...wen i tried to login it led me to some index page on chrome....den i uninstalled it n reinstalled it (5.8 version) n nw it doesn't evn show a login...jus a blue skype window!!! im missing skype..:sad: 

tessy
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 9 (2,086 Views)

tessy wrote:

my skype suddenly started givin me problms...wen i tried to login it led me to some index page on chrome....den i uninstalled it n reinstalled it (5.8 version) n nw it doesn't evn show a login...jus a blue skype window!!! im missing skype..:sad: 

You have problems with your Internet Explorer and JavaScript. Regardless which browser you are using, Skype (since version 5.5) is using Internet Explorer and JavaScript to create and manage the login screen.

Please, answer first these questions:

What version of Windows are you on? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827218

Go to Windows Start and in the Search box type winver.exe and then press Enter.

What is the version of Internet Explorer installed on your computer?

In Internet Explorer go to Help -> About Internet Explorer.

P.S. Please, don’t say that you are not using Internet Explorer. This is irrelevant. Skype depends on Internet Explorer.

ruwim
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 6335
Message 6 of 9 (2,073 Views)

imsuckk
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 9 (2,004 Views)

Same Issue

I have the same issue. I didn't even opt to update my Skype considering it was working fine. Now I am unable to connect to video calls. I thought that maybe I was the only one having this issue, but it looks like a lot of users are too. I'm replying so that Skype may see that this is a large-scale issue that needs to be investigated.

kristennoel20
Novel Tourist
Message 8 of 9 (1,541 Views)

Re: Same Issue

kristennoel20,

You can uninstall current version of Skype from the control Panel and you can install older Skype 5.10.0.116

oldversion.com/windows/skype-5-10-0-116

Regards,
Tamim
__________________________________________________________________________________________
Location - Dhaka | Bangladesh - Standard Time Zone: GMT/UTC + 06:00 hour

If one of my replies has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.
Tamim
Super Aviator
Kudos: 6227
Message 9 of 9 (1,523 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling