Access violation

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Access violation

Hello there, for a week now, when i try to start skype, the following message appears: "skype access violation at address 0040290A in module 'skype.exe'. Write of address 00000004." Skype stays closed. I've reinstalled it three times (latest version of course), deleted the skype folder manually as well. Even Google couldnt help me, and a search in this forums was of no help either :sad: . Just last week I was able to use Skype as usual, it literally showed up overnight. I'd really appreciate some help, so all thats left for me to do is saying: thanks in advance cheers, Lars
moonshield
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 19 (8,219 Views)

Re: Access violation

What version are you trying to install?

What operating system and make and model of your system are you using and are you 32 or 64 bit based?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 19 (8,099 Views)

[ Edited ]

hi there... well the latest version 5.5, the one which can be downloaded on skype.com

and im not sure i fully understand what you mean by saying "make and model", its a custom computer and all is mixed togehter if that answers your question...(no native speaker sorry^^). but as i said skype used to be working just one week ago and i didnt change a thing since then...

moonshield
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 19 (8,089 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please go here, and once on the page, please click the "Fixit" Icon and then reboot and try the install again:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 19 (8,085 Views)

same error message appears.
moonshield
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 19 (8,081 Views)

Ok, please do the same on this page, click the "Fixit" icon/button once there:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971187#FixItForMeAlways

Afterwards, please reboot and install from this link:

http://skype.com/go/getskype-full

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 19 (8,078 Views)

still the same error...but since i got a german OS it might be that the "fix it" doesnt work...not sure though
moonshield
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 19 (8,072 Views)

For Testing ONLY! Please do NOT stay on this release and post back if this works.

In your case and your case only.

1. Please stop any and all running Skype Client programs on your system.

2. Using your Windows Control Panel Add/Remove Programs uninstall Skype, when prompted to save your history, choose yes.

3. Using Windows File Explorer do:

%appdata%\skype

If you find a file called shared.xml right click on it and choose delete.

4. If you see a folder for the Skype name in question, click on it, if you see a file called Config.xml right click on it and choose delete.

5. You will need to copy/paste the link below into the browser window of your choice:

oldapps.com/skype.php?old_skype=82?download

This will install the older version of Skype.

How are things now?

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 8 of 19 (8,070 Views)

no, didnt work :sad: but there's a new error message: "Access violation at address 7711135D in module 'kernel32.dll'.Write of address 00000004"
moonshield
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 19 (8,061 Views)

[ Edited ]

Please do a sfc /scannow.

Here are the instructions on how to do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 10 of 19 (8,055 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling