6.3: Webcam screen wont load

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

6.3: Webcam screen wont load

[ Edited ]

I am new to skype, so I am still trying to get it up and running, but am having trouble with the video not loading. I am able to skype just using audio.  But with video,  I can see them, but they cant see me.

By going into options> video settings> all I get is a black screen with a circle as though it is trying to load.  The message that comes up at the end of trying to load the picture is "close any other applications that might be using your webcam."

I have nothing else running.  I have tried looking in the startup programs to see if something else is using it, but have no idea what to really look for.... 

I did originally have cyberlink youcam installed, but it was coming up everytime skype was started, and I thought it was the problem, so I uninstalled it.

I have a new samsung laptop running Windows 7 with a webcam built in (SCB-1100N). All the drivers are up-to-date.  Latest version of skype (6.3.0.105).  I have uninstalled and reinstalled skype several times, this has not helped.

Can anyone help??

tina3
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (2,183 Views)

Re: Webcam screen wont load

The associated software with the camera can cause an issue like this as well.  You might try something like manycam (manycam.com).  It acts like a middleman similar to the Cyberlink software you had installed, I just haven't tried that software.  See if your camera will work in manycam, then you can select the option in the Skype software and see if the camera works then.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1305
Message 2 of 5 (2,172 Views)

Thanks Techfreak.... but unfortunately it didn't work either.  Just a black screen. 

I am beginning to suspect the problem may be my upload connection.  A friend skyped me yesterday afternoon using audio as the video wouldn't work . After a while into the conversation I decided to try video..... and low and behold it worked!!  Hung up, tried again.... it worked first go this time. 

Later on after switching down the computer, decided to try again..... had the black screen of death again with the circle.  Tried again this morning..... nothing.

So it is very temperamental.......

tina3
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 5 (2,151 Views)

It could be related related to bandwidth, hardware or software.  Sometimes the built-in camera cables go bad on laptops.  I bought several laptops years ago and the cable was defective from the factory on one of them.  I ended up having to replace it (it requires taking the screen apart).  It generally worked on maybe one call, then it would stop working.  Sometimes it would work again after a reboot.  So you might have a hardware-related issue.  You could also try an earlier  6.x release of the Skype software to see if the problem goes away.

techfreak
Community Ambassador
Community Ambassador icon
Kudos: 1305
Message 4 of 5 (2,140 Views)

That is very interesting what you said about the cable, as it was only about 2 weeks ago that I had trouble with my cd/dvd not working and causing havoc in starting up my computer...... eventually found out by accident that it was due to the cable not connecting properly.  A good push on the cd player did the trick.  Obviously the webcam would not be as simple.  Something to consider looking into though.

With regards to an earlier release of skype..... yep.... have already tried that.  Didn't work unfortunately.  :sad:

tina3
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 5 (2,133 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling