unable to log out/change accounts on windows 8 pho...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

unable to log out/change accounts on windows 8 phone

[ Edited ]

Hi,  I have 4 different skype accounts, one is personal, one is main work name, and 2 others are used less often.  When I am at my desktop for work I like to have my work skype also on my phone in case I step away from my PC so I can still be contacted, but when I finish work for the day I want to log out of that on my phone and then be on my personal account.  Since I upgraded from a windows 7 phone to windows 8 phone at Christmas I have been unable to log out of my work account.   Closing Skype on the Windows 7 phone was one option but on the Windows 8 phone it will not close and remains in the background showing you as online.   So here I am at 11pm at night getting pings from colleagues around the world who would normally email me but because I am showing online they think I am working late.  I want to be able to log out at the end of the day, then log into a different account if I wish to. 

The answers I have seen so far seem to imply you now want us to remain logged into our one skype account 24/7, and you dont seem to have considered maybe people have more than one account and use them for different things.  Please explain how I can log out of my work skype at the end of my work day and log into my personal one, or is it a case of uninstall Skype and use something different from now on?

dereklakin
Staff Moderator

Accepted Solution

Thanks for your feedback. Along with the feedback provided by manay other users we are currently evaluating how best to handle the scenarios for users with multiple accounts. Currently there is no way to log out in the Windows Phone 8 client.

We understand that this is an important issue; we are listening.

View solution in original post
zip2diskuk
Casual Adventurer

Accepted Solution

OK thanks for your diplomatic answer.  After being woke at 2am this morning with pings I guess I am going to uninstall Skype Mobile until a beta test version with all the minimum features are available and working.  I guess by "minimum" I am suggesting the basics like being able to log in and out by choice, and the ability to close an app when not using it and not have it continue to run in the background.

dereklakin
Staff Moderator

Accepted Solution

We just announced the new switch user/log out feature is coming soon. See the thread here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Windows-Phone/Switching-Users-and-Logging-Out/m-p/1364957

zip2diskuk
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 19
Message 1 of 57 (12,855 Views)

Re: unable to log out/change accounts on windows 8 phone

Thanks for your feedback. Along with the feedback provided by manay other users we are currently evaluating how best to handle the scenarios for users with multiple accounts. Currently there is no way to log out in the Windows Phone 8 client.

We understand that this is an important issue; we are listening.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 291
Message 2 of 57 (12,827 Views)

OK thanks for your diplomatic answer.  After being woke at 2am this morning with pings I guess I am going to uninstall Skype Mobile until a beta test version with all the minimum features are available and working.  I guess by "minimum" I am suggesting the basics like being able to log in and out by choice, and the ability to close an app when not using it and not have it continue to run in the background.

zip2diskuk
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 57 (12,804 Views)

I understand your problem because I have the same issue myself :happy: You can work round it by either turning off toast notifications in the app settings (tap on the avatar in the rop-right on the Home page, then tap settings in the application bar), or you can turn off sounds for notifications on the device in settings > ringtones+sounds > Play a sound for: All other notifications.

I appreciate that this is not an ideal solution (though it works for me atm), but we are considering ways to improve this situation at the moment.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 4 of 57 (12,801 Views)

Thanks I did see the turn of ping option, but that then has the impact that my work colleagues think I am ignoring them - so thats not a good thing and not something I am prepared to have happen.
zip2diskuk
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 57 (12,795 Views)

I only meant as a temporary action while you sleep, then you can re-enable in the morning.

dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 6 of 57 (12,790 Views)

That still leaves me showing as online even if I dont hear their pings. I did try making myself invisible but when I then use the desktop client it makes me visible again so unless I go into the phone again at the end of the day and make myself invisible again, I am then showing online again.

Software is meant to be intuitive and easy to use, it was easy before, when I logged in, I was in, and when I logged out I was out, when I closed an app on my phone it was closed... but the new way seems to be log in, stay logged in for life, cant close an app and the only option is to uninstall it. So I have uninstalled it, makes much more sense than try and work around the lack of basic facilities until a proper fully functional app appears for use. I appreciate its a free app, but a free app that doesnt work with the basic minimum of log in / log out is actually pointless and I would prefer to loose the small gains the app gave me to remove the larger problems that it also gave me.
zip2diskuk
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 57 (12,781 Views)

I have the same problem.  Our family has four windows phones and no lanline at home. We use skype as one of our modes of communications.  We each have our own skype account and we use a family account for all long distance calls so we can properly manage our sky credit.  Unfortunately, this forces us to all use the family account on our phones because we cannot switch between the family account and our individual accounts on the phones.  Since Windows Phone 8 our use of skype will now be limited to the rare times we make long distance calls.

iLuddy
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 8 of 57 (12,565 Views)

Thanks for the additional example of how you use Skype at home.  We are listening - all the feedback on HOW and WHY you want to use additional Skype account is useful to us in helping us determine the appropriate next steps.

Thanks for your patience.

Heather
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 25
Message 9 of 57 (12,557 Views)

@dereklakin

Thanks for being so open about this shortcoming. Nevertheless I still find it unbelievable that you guys released an App that doesn't allow you to logout other than uninstalling the App. Even more so since Skype has been a MS company for quite some time now you would think that WP support should be the best for any of the mobile platforms.

In any case is there a release time for a proper Skype app that works as one would expect?

Pete

pohlipit
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 10 of 57 (12,537 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling