Re: CRITICAL BUG: Skype freezing my Windows Phone

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

CRITICAL BUG: Skype freezing my Windows Phone

I have a HTC 8X on GDR 1 (HTC C625b, OS Version 8.0.10211.204,  Firmware 1532.20.20100.862)

In late November, a bug started happening where I would unlocked my phone and would be greated by a "Resuming..." screen. I could not get away from this and the only solution was to restart my phone. This was happening about twice a day.

I started slowly uninstalling recently installed programs one at a time waiting to see if this fixed the problem. When I uninstalled skype, the bug stopped happening. After a week without error, I was satisfied Skype was the cause, hoping that a reinstall, or the latest update to skype would fix the problem I reinstalled skype. And within 24 hours the problem had returned.

I don't completely blame skype for this - as far as I'm concerned no app should be able to crash the entire OS and if does so that's a bug with the OS. However, a recent change in your code caused this problem. So...

1. That makes you in a good position to deal with the WP team to track the cause down

2. HTC has shown how little they care about updates by refusing to release GDR2 and taking their sweet time releasing GDR3, so if it was fixed by a firmware upgrade I probably have to wait a year to get it. A fix on your end would be rolled out much faster.

Until this is resolved I have to uninstall Skype from my phone. Please fix this ASAP.

cpmcgrath
Casual Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

My phone has since been updated to GDR3 and 24 hours in skype hasn't caused the bug. So I'm hopeful it has fixed. Still a huge bug for anyone not on GDR3

View solution in original post
cpmcgrath
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 9 (2,420 Views)

Hello,

Sorry to hear about your issue.  We need a bit more information before we can see what is going on.

First, are you in Skype when you lock your phone, before you see this issue?

Second, what carrier are you on?  HTC was actually the first to release GDR3 for their devices and if you don't have it yet, it's most likely your carrier that is holding back the updates.

Also, I just want to confirm which version of Skype you are using.  We have had two releases in December, one just a few days ago.

Hope we can help!

Joe

Follow us @SkypeSupport.
To get the most out of Skype I recommend Skype Premium.
Download Skype for Windows Phone from the Store.
Found this post useful? Please give Kudo. Helped to fix your issue? Mark it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
JoelShea
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 131
Message 2 of 9 (2,375 Views)

skype doesn't have to be open. I'm on Vodafone Australia, they approved gdr2 and then htc decided to call it. And they keep saying they are awaiting for htc to give them gdr3.

It started to happen with the previous version. when i heard a new version was out i reinstalled it and the error was still happening.

cpmcgrath
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 9 (2,369 Views)

Can I please have an update on this?

cpmcgrath
Casual Adventurer
Message 4 of 9 (2,324 Views)

my nokia c6 model not support in skype
Posted from Nokia C6-01
kongugovindraj
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 9 (2,286 Views)

My phone has since been updated to GDR3 and 24 hours in skype hasn't caused the bug. So I'm hopeful it has fixed. Still a huge bug for anyone not on GDR3

cpmcgrath
Casual Adventurer
Message 6 of 9 (2,242 Views)

Glad to hear you were able to update.  Did your operator finally push out GDR3?

For what it is worth, we were not able to reproduce what you were seeing, even on an HTC 8X with GDR1, so it may be even more isolated than we first thought.

Follow us @SkypeSupport.
To get the most out of Skype I recommend Skype Premium.
Download Skype for Windows Phone from the Store.
Found this post useful? Please give Kudo. Helped to fix your issue? Mark it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
JoelShea
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 131
Message 7 of 9 (2,237 Views)

I am having the same issue, HTC8X on Telstra network in Australia.  Phone stuck on Resuming.... at least twice a day. Made phone useless, alarms and phonecalls missed. Only fix to hold down the power button and reset the phone.

Narrowed down the app causing the problem to Skype, uninstalled it, then had no lockups. Reinstalled it, and the problem resurfaces again.

Until there is a update to Skype or to phone, i wont have Skype installed, its a real shame, i use Skype a lot on all my devices.

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
arechuca
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 9 (1,815 Views)

Windows Phone 8 Update 3 fixed this for me. Support will ask what version of WP you're on. Best post it before they ask.

cpmcgrath
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 9 (1,807 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling