Skype and Windows Phone 7.5 and Microsoft Account ...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Skype and Windows Phone 7.5 and Microsoft Account (yes, again!!!)

Skype is a Microsoft product? Yes

Skype for Android (Google) - Microsoft Account: Ok
Skype for iOS (Apple) - Microsoft Account: Ok
Skype for Windows Phone (Microsoft): Microsoft Account: NO
Why??

AdrianoLB
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 15 (2,938 Views)

Re: Skype and Windows Phone 7.5 and Microsoft Account (yes, again!!!)

AdrianoLB wrote:

Skype is a Microsoft product? Yes

Skype for Android (Google) - Microsoft Account: Ok
Skype for iOS (Apple) - Microsoft Account: Ok
Skype for Windows Phone (Microsoft): Microsoft Account: NO
Why??

Skype has an infinite budget: No
Skype has infinite time: No

Skype has unlimited developers: No

Skype has just released their Windows Phone 8 Preview app: Yes

Hope that helps :happy:

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 345
Message 2 of 15 (2,935 Views)

Devices with Windows Phone 7.5 will be upgraded to Windows Phone 8?: NO
If we have limited resources, our customers will be the last: YES (?)
AdrianoLB
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 15 (2,931 Views)

AdrianoLB wrote:
Devices with Windows Phone 7.5 will be upgraded to Windows Phone 8?: NO

You are starting to blur issues that are completely out of Skype's hands. The compatibility of Windows Phone 8 with earlier devices is entirely to do with the platform and not individual apps. Although Skype is now part of Microsoft, that has only been the case for just over a year and so we were a long way removed from business and technical decisions like that.

Although my previous reply was slightly sarcastic, it still holds true. Skype is a comparatively small company and with only a certain amount of time and resources and our efforts have been focused on the new app for Windows Phone 8.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
0 Kudos
dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 4 of 15 (2,928 Views)

Who else but you makes the
decisions which platforms to support? The next question here must be: why
should I buy a Windows Phone 8 when you clearly state that Skype and Microsoft
down prioritize their own customers. For me as a customer the minute Microsoft
bought Skype they are the one and the same. I couldn’t care less about how long
you are from internal technical discussions at Microsoft. If Microsoft wants there
Windows Phones to become a success they have to move at least as fast on their
own devices as they do on their competitors. And you have now proven to me that
when Microsoft moves to Windows Phone 9 they will leave all the Windows Phone 8
customers behind with no support. Buying a Windows Phone (7.5) was just a bad decision
made by me and it will not buy any future versions.

kongaa
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 15 (2,666 Views)

kongaa wrote:

The next question here must be: why should I buy a Windows Phone 8 when you clearly state that Skype and Microsoft down prioritize their own customers.

I have never made such a statement. If you can point out where I have made a statement that you believe is such, then I apologize for being misleading. I personally feel that the efforts of myself and other members of Skype here on these forums is positive indication of exactly the opposite.

kongaa wrote:

If Microsoft wants there Windows Phones to become a success they have to move at least as fast on their own devices as they do on their competitors. And you have now proven to me that when Microsoft moves to Windows Phone 9 they will leave all the Windows Phone 8 customers behind with no support. Buying a Windows Phone (7.5) was just a bad decision made by me and it will not buy any future versions.

Unfortunately, the practicalities of software development do not make is possible to get a new product to the same level of maturity as older products in less time, so comparing the Windows Phone client to any other Skype mobile client (such as iOS for example) is simply not realistic. Here in the Skype for Windows Phone team we are extremely passionate about the platform and the product and are working really hard to make the best Skype mobile client possible. However, we're bound by the real world constraints of time, resources, and the exposed capabilities of the platform.

I'm sorry that you regret your decision to buy a Windows Phone 7 device and to be honest I can understand that. However, I would not say that the situation with Windows Phone 7/8 is necessarily any indication of the future for Windows Phone 8/9.

dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 6 of 15 (2,606 Views)

Unfortunately, in my country, only Windows Phone 7.5 is a reality. There is no device with Windows Phone 8 for sale. But there are devices with the latest versions of Android and iOS... Microsoft really does not collaborate with their customers... Still, I hope for a final version of Skype for Windows Phone 7.5, or maybe 7.8 in next year :wink:. Keep up the great work, Skype Team, and Microsoft: listen your customers!!!

AdrianoLB
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 15 (2,565 Views)

I've upgraded my Skype to link between my Microsoft account but now I can't sign into Skype on my WP7.5 Nokia Lumis 900.

Anything I can do now?
Posted from Nokia Lumia 800
mattcosa
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 15 (2,359 Views)

mattcosa wrote:
I've upgraded my Skype to link between my Microsoft account but now I can't sign into Skype on my WP7.5 Nokia Lumis 900.

Anything I can do now?

You can continue to sign in to WP7 with the Skype credentials that you merged with your Microsoft Account. The WP7 app does not support signing in with a Microsoft Account.

0 Kudos
dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Message 9 of 15 (2,355 Views)

Understood that WP7.5 doesn't support MS account sign in. However, that's not the issue.

After signing in OK with my Skype account the app logs in, but reports "not connected" and there are no contacts available as online.

Posted from Nokia Lumia 800
mattcosa
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 15 (2,339 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling