Re: Does it run in the background?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Does it run in the background?

I have this version on the Samsung Focus Flash and it works well; however, I wish this thing would keep running in the background when I go back to my start screen or am in another app. I can only receive calls if I am logged in and it is the app open.
Please use plain text.
WStarnes18
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 10 (2,460 Views)

It also doesn't vibrate my phone when someone calls.
0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
WStarnes18
Novel Adventurer
Message 2 of 10 (2,347 Views)

Hi,

unfortunately Skype for Windows Phone 1.0 does not run in the background, so you have to have it in the foreground to receive calls or chat. Sorry for the inconveniences.
----------------------------
If answer was helpful please give Kudos and if issue is resolved mark it with solution for other users. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
peepk
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 37
Message 3 of 10 (2,335 Views)

Manager of the Windows Phone 7 version really blew-it, big-time. Skype (Miscrosoft) needs to announce support for background task and tile notification support in the next release. Hurts Skype and Microsoft, but more so hurts the customer who relies on the both of you to make this transition happen smoothly.

Please use plain text.
rco
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 10 (2,298 Views)

I agree with rco. The app isn't worth it without background support. I understand it's in beta, but why bother if you can only use it in the foreground. Really hoping MS can lift their game and make this happen ASAP. Also, need proper support for the Nokia 800. Very disappointed this was dropped so soon.
Posted from Nokia Lumia 800
Please use plain text.
gilbertad
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 5 of 10 (2,280 Views)

I completely agree with gilbertad and eco, it needs to work properly in background and tile notification, I have a lumia 800 and am quite disappointed as Skype did work properly on my old Nokia phone
Please use plain text.
incidit
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 6 of 10 (2,276 Views)

Agree also. Have the same experience as incidit, and its frustrading. Skype must run in the background and be able to give sounds by chats and calls. It worked on my old nokia
Please use plain text.
larsp
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 10 (2,228 Views)

I agree also. What's the point if Skype doesn't work in background... I don't believe it is hard to fix it...

The same thing with YouTube...

### user of Nokia lumia 900
0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
misiektempeaz
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 8 of 10 (1,584 Views)

Hi,

On this topic, I understand your disappointment and am sorry for the inconvenience. 

Between Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8, we completely re-architected Skype so that messages and calls can be received when the app is not in the foreground.  Unlike on other platforms, Skype does not "run in the background", even on Windows Phone 8 (which is why your battery life is preserved).  The nature of the OS changes means our WP8 "hybrid" app doesn't "just run" on WP7.  And, unfortunately, it isn't easy and quick to offer this functionality for you.

Since WP8 was announced, we've spent 100% of our development time in getting a working app for that platform;  and we have a lot of work left to go.

Please use plain text.
Heather
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 25
Message 9 of 10 (1,557 Views)

This is poor. Sorry to say that! I like my W8 Phone but it is in a very, very early state of a beta und as longer as i use it, so more disappointing is it. is it freeware? w8 and skype are from the same company ... is it nessesary to use the community for testing (and crying). Come on.  

0 Kudos
Please use plain text.
pooleleven
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 10 (1,124 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling