Background Support on Windows Phone

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
This topic has been archived.
To keep discussions in the Skype Community relevant we archive topics that haven't seen activity in the past 6 months. Read more about about archiving

Background Support on Windows Phone

I'm well aware that Skype for whatever reason doesn't have background support on Windows Phone. I've read countless posts on many forums of people complaining about this, and its pretty clear there's a lot of annoyed users out there and a huge demand for it.

Background support should have been planned and implemented from the start. I'm sure many on this support forum would agree. I find it ridiculous that the iPhone (my previous phone) works perfectly with Skype running in the background but on Windows Phone this doesn't happen.

// End Rant

Is there an official answer from Skype/Microsoft on this issue? Is there a planned date to add background support? And any sort of answer as to why this has been left out to this point? Im struggling to find any real answers or info on this.

Given that Microsoft owns Skype it really shouldn't be too hard to get this right.
Posted from Nokia Lumia 800
gilbertad
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 1 of 16 (6,264 Views)

Re: Background Support on Windows Phone

I agree, if Microsoft wants WP to be successful, they really need help with apps. IOS and Android are lightyears ahead in variety and functionality of their apps. I am really getting disappointed with my Windows phone.

kp2785
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 2 of 16 (6,189 Views)

Has there actually been an official reply from skype on why it is so and whether they plan on changing this in the future.

I may as well through my WP I purchased just today out of the window and switch back to Android as I need to be able to receive skype messages all the time :sad:

0 Kudos
Aapsis
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 16 (5,823 Views)

thats stupidity of window & skype. I totally agree. no phone should use window. its totally useless. I really surpized to see skype does not work in the background of lumia 800. want to get rid of window. i would not recomend to anyone to buy window mobile.

0 Kudos
mhasanyousaf
Novel Tourist
Message 4 of 16 (5,231 Views)

You are kidding right? First, It's Windows Phone! Not Windows Mobile!! They are 2 totally different Operating Systems and since you have an 800 you should know that! Next, Windows phone is fast, fluid and usually bug free. This Skype issue is one of the worst things I've ever seen on WP and I've owned an HTC Arrive since it launched and now I've had a Lumia 920 for 2 weeks. It's not Microsoft's fault that Skype isn't running in the Background. It's something Skype can hopefully fix.
rwoody-7289
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 5 of 16 (5,223 Views)

There's a great explanation of the issue with regards to background calling over here: http://www.wpcentral.com/understanding-skype%E2%80%99s-limitations-windows-phone

We understand and appreciate how important this is, which is why have the great implementation that we do on Windows Phone 8, which does provide us with the infrastructure that we need.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
0 Kudos
dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 314
Message 6 of 16 (5,207 Views)

@dereklakin

It be great if the background agent would work.  When I first installed the preview on my Lumia 920 device, I wasn't able to recieve any calls or IM's from Skype.  I also had bluetooth issues.  I then re-installed the preview, and was able to recieve IM's and calls via Skype.  However, a few days ago (from what I noticed), I can no longer recieve calls or IM's via Skype.  The same thing has happened in the Windows 8 Store App.

Is posting here on the forum the right method to report these issues, or is there a proper support channel I can log issues with?  I am a paying Skype customer.

0 Kudos
ChrisLynch06
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 21
Message 7 of 16 (5,174 Views)

That explaination makes no sense whatsoever. First of all, XMPP (in Tango) audio/video calls are peer-to-peer as well - XMPP only serves as a signalling protocol.

I somewhat doubt that signaling for Skype calls are made peer-to-peer as well. The performance improvement on the server side would be marginal at best, and you'd run into a whole host of issues. What if the receiving side is on a NAT of whatever type (symmetric is especially nasty to deal with)? What if the receiving side is firewalled but isn't NATed?

One other thing: Why do certain applications (IM+, for example) allow for receiving Skype IMs on Windows Phone when they're not in the foreground, with working push notifications? You'd think that if IMs are already routed through a central server, it wouldn't be too much work to route signalling through central servers as well, correct?

0 Kudos
spacespeed
Casual Adventurer
Message 8 of 16 (5,153 Views)

ChrisLynch06 wrote:

@dereklakin

It be great if the background agent would work.  When I first installed the preview on my Lumia 920 device, I wasn't able to recieve any calls or IM's from Skype.  I also had bluetooth issues.  I then re-installed the preview, and was able to recieve IM's and calls via Skype.  However, a few days ago (from what I noticed), I can no longer recieve calls or IM's via Skype.  The same thing has happened in the Windows 8 Store App.

Is posting here on the forum the right method to report these issues, or is there a proper support channel I can log issues with?  I am a paying Skype customer.

Yes posting your questions/issues/feedback here on this forum is the right place :happy:

There have been some issues that are code related with the Preview, which will be fixed in the next update. There have also been some issues with back-end services that have affected other apps (such as Skype for Windows :cool:. Needless to say, the relevant teams are working on fixes as quickly as possible.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
dereklakin
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 314
Message 9 of 16 (5,117 Views)

Thanks Derek. I hope an update can be released soon. Until then, I'll have to leave it uninstalled on my Lumia 920.
0 Kudos
ChrisLynch06
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 21
Message 10 of 16 (5,101 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling