Windows Phone Ideas

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
lzk987

Skype WiFi

by lzk987 on ‎08-10-2013 20:49

Skype WiFi will be useful on Windows Phone 8 and 7.X

Thanks!

Comments
by Anaron on ‎28-10-2013 16:32

I don't understand what you mean by "Skype WiFi". If you're referring to using the Skype app for WP8 with a WiFi connection, then that is already supported. I don't know about WP7.x though.

by Staff Moderator Staff Moderator on ‎07-11-2013 12:56
Status changed to: Future possibility

by Suze54 on ‎02-01-2014 18:40

Okay, I bought a Samsung ACE II planning to power up my Long Distance Calling with Skype! Are you really telling me that it won't work because it's run on Windows? 

Please get working on this so I can sign up again!  

by efeller on ‎06-01-2014 04:16

I'd like to see more apps on Windows Phone, including Skype Wifi.  Skype is owned by Microsoft, I would have thought that all Microsoft services should always be available on all Microsoft products if applicable.  I do believe Skype Wifi is an applicable service that would be available.  This should have been a priority.

by KcSUpjm4 on ‎07-01-2014 17:51

On Windows laptops we have Skype WiFi which can help to connect on pay-for-use hotspots. It would be good to have this on the phone also, where hotspot access is a pain, but perhaps only automatically triggered when the phone is roaming. We should still be prompted whether to connect, but it would be a huge help in foreign cities.

by martinozza78 on ‎13-03-2014 15:56

Skype Wifi is an application that allows you to connect to WiFi Hotspots, paying with your Skype credit, instead of using your credit card to purchase online minutes.

Skype WiFi exists for Android and iPhone quite some time already, and it is a shame that although Windows bought Skype, this app is not yet available on Windows Phones.

It IS, however, available for Windows 8 laptops/tablets via the Windows Store. Strange.

I hope that the stores for the Windows Phones and the Windows laptops/tablets will one day offer all the same applications, which currently is not the case.

by SuziBee on ‎01-04-2014 16:50

This seems like a no brainer: two Microsoft products that are useful together! I have a WP8 and want to use Skype Wifi for hotspots in Europe. Sadly, that is not yet an option.

Any updates?

by Antonq2004 on ‎12-04-2014 01:27

I think its ironic that there's no app for the Windows phone yet there is for IOS!!

Hello Microsoft!! When will the app be developed for Windows phones?

ALSO if you haven't figured it out yet, it isn't needed for free public wifi hotspots.

It's only useful if the public hotspot requires payment AND it is part of the skype wifi serviced network...  Just saves you having to jump thru hoops to pay for an hour or so of internet access.

Chances are slim that Skype is actually partnered with any public pay-for-hotspot connection you might come across, and bonus if it is..

by sveinti on ‎09-06-2014 23:23

I am on Windows Phone 7 and now 8.1 and must say it is a crazy world that when I search for "Skype WIFI", the results in Bing shows "iPhone, iPad and Android". Where did the Windows Phone go?

Sorry Microsoft, you would not know how this looks to Windows Phone users! For Windows Phone users, I hope the reorganisation of your company kicks the Skype manager out as far as it gets.

by ShadowChaser on ‎08-08-2014 05:46
Downvoting. Skype wifi is useless in North America, and isn't related to Skype functionality in any way. The last thing we need is yet another thing slowing down the app. Merge this with the Wifi Sense feature in Windows Phone, or create a separate app for it.
Announcements

You can submit your improvement ideas to Skype for Windows Phone quickly and easily here.Learn how

Idea submission tips:

• Only one idea per submission
  • Pick a descriptive title

Top kudoed authors

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling