Windows Phone Ideas

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
matvey364

Send SMS from Skype to phone numbers

by on ‎08-10-2013 10:18 - last edited on ‎10-10-2013 16:37 by Community Manager Community Manager

SMS to mobiles is a must.

[Following part edited by Moderator]

Horizontal screen layout when typing in chat. Please create a separate idea for that.

Send/Receive photos. Separate idea here

Comments
by Community Manager Community Manager on ‎06-02-2014 12:41
Status changed to: Future possibility

by jpkjpk on ‎16-04-2014 20:10

this is the critical missing piece!

by mdlksnmdaslknm on ‎16-04-2014 21:18
To clarify, at least what I'm looking for, is that you can use Skype to send SMS through my phone. Ideally it will know what number I'm sending from (either from what I'm replying to or what I've selected) and send from the phone with that number - a lot of us have two phones for whatever reason (like personal and business).
by DarthBlotto on ‎06-05-2014 20:47
Skype should be trying to be a more complete communication solution. This means handling SMS and MMS. If Skype doesn't have features like this but, for instance, google voice does - then I'm going to use gvoice and bother less with Skype. Waiting for everyone to adopt Skype for phone-phone texting won't work - too many people use ordinary SMS/MMS. It's the standard. Working with this standard is a must. In other words, someone should be able to pick up their phone and be able to use Skype for all communication, regardless of whether the person on the other end uses Skype. If a user has to switch to the phone's SMS/MMS or whatsapp or (god forbid) email, its a headache.
by Peribanu on ‎30-09-2014 07:30

Add SMS messaging to the WP app! I wonder why no-one thought of such a great feature before. Oh, wait, it's already on the bendPhone and lagDroid apps. No love for Windows Phone, MS?

by Peribanu 3 weeks ago
Lots of people on many different threads have called for SMS to be added to the Skype app on Windows Phone. It's in the "modern" app for Windows 8.1, so it really cannot be so difficult to add it to the Windows Phone app, especially considering that it is available on other platforms (it was even available on the old Symbian app!). While I would certainly like a solution whereby it is possible to send an SMS via Skype straight from the "People" hub (plus of course make a call via Skype from that hub), I wouldn't want that kind of integration to hold up the long overdue addition of SMS directly in the app. It beggars belief that Skype have continually answered that "they have no plans" to add this feature to the WP app, for the last couple of years! Why provide it on every other platform and not on this one? It's the one thing preventing me from making more extensive use of Skype. Skype messaging is really not up to the experience of an SMS yet. It's unreliable on many platforms, and I can't be sure that people I want to message have Skype on their mobiles. In any case, unfortunately WhatsApp stole Skype's thunder in this area, as WhatsApp is supported on even quite basic feature phones (whereas Skype has disabled its Symbian and WP7 support) and it is directly linked to people's phone numbers.
Announcements

You can submit your improvement ideas to Skype for Windows Phone quickly and easily here.Learn how

Idea submission tips:

• Only one idea per submission
  • Pick a descriptive title

Top kudoed authors

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling