Windows Phone Ideas

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WGREVILLe

Allowing the PAUSE in a dialing string, either for the contact or call forwarding

by WGREVILLe on ‎07-01-2014 11:51

I constantly use another service to make calls that require lots of numbers followed by the main number.  Anyone with an EXTENSION, which is a lot of people now.  Also, I would like to Forward my calls to my office, but that requires an extension, so I can't do it with skype.   Most services allow a PAUSE during the dialing string  like a comma  "  ,   "  yes, the simple comma is used in the phone industry for 35 years now to allow a 2 second pause.  And you guess it, need more than one pause, NO PROBLEM, just add another comma !   I cannot believe that skype does not have this simple yet necessary feature.  so PLEASE ADD THIS AMAZINGLY SIMPLE FEATURE !  It's been around for DECADES !!!!!

Comments
by djwolanin on ‎07-01-2014 13:41

This is one of those common sense ideas that after reading it you wonder why it hasn't already been implemented.

by KcSUpjm4 on ‎07-01-2014 17:47
I suspect this arises because the original comma approach assumed that MF4 dialling was being used to deliver the whole number, but that hasn't been true for many years. These days, whether on cellphones or VoIP networks, the dialled number (E.164 address) is delivered as part of the digital signalling, not as tones. So, adding "comma handling" means separating the number into two parts. The first part would be sent using the digital signalling to create the call. Once the call is established, digits after the comma(s) could be sent as MF4 tones. However, that doesn't always work if the receiving system wants the extension delivered as out of band signalling rather than in-band tones. So, while I support the idea, it would be a mistake to think this is simple.
by HRJR on ‎26-07-2014 17:49

Could it be that Skype doesn't want to add this feature because it would make the use of international calling cards through Skype very easy? The prices of some calling cards are incomprably cheaper then Skype's international rates.  So, Skype's rate for local call + the calling card's international rate is much cheaper than Skype's international rate.  Naturally, Skype doesn't want to make it easy for you to use a calling card because they want you to use their international rates.

Just a thought.

Announcements

You can submit your improvement ideas to Skype for Windows Phone quickly and easily here.Learn how

Idea submission tips:

• Only one idea per submission
  • Pick a descriptive title

Top kudoed authors
User Kudos Count

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling