Re: Wrong email language

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

In Skype settings you are required to set your preferred language.

Skype has access to this setting, and yet they choose to completely ignore it and use some bizarre method of choosing the default language for emails sent out.  

They also have access to the fact I have cleared the tick box accepting emails and adverts.  

Yet I still get emails from Skype, in Chinese, despite my settings saying I speak English and don't want spam.

Skype are not alone in this behaviour.  Many large companies have no idea what data they have available, and even less idea how to use it effectively.

Somebody at Skype probably thinks they were very clever to tailor email langauge to registration country and they are patting themselves on the back for it.   I'm sure it wasn't easy.  

Can somebody else at Skype please explain to them that they got it wrong?  You have access to our preferred language settings and our "opt out" settings", please use them appropriately.

Thank you.

ginohk
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 11 of 13 (803 Views)

[ Edited ]

All of my emails are in German.  If I uncheck the "no more emails" box I may miss a TOS change, but it's not like I could read it anyway. This is absurd.  Good thing you just rolled out a "hey pay us" feature like skype wifi. I suppose I'm not too surpirsed to learn MS is the parent company.

hollywoodcouple
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 12 of 13 (646 Views)

It looks like Microsoft has no handle on getting this error fixed.  I contacted chat support and was told to change my email to a different that is active for me and then change it back in a few days.  Well that did nothing and the emails are still coming in Italian.  Thank Larry & Sergey for Google Translate.

Their excuse that it's based on the country of origin is lame.  I registered in the US from day one and never moved.  Looking at the dates of the complaints of other people, this has been going on for too long.  Microsoft needs to put email language selection on the profile setting to close this problem once and for all.

Practice safe hex,

Pete

petepac
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 13 of 13 (581 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling