Re: Support for Hebrew and other RTL languages

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Support for Hebrew and other RTL languages

Will there be support for RTL languages in Skype?

See here:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/RTL-support-in-Skype/m-p/1303996#M19924

Dror

dsaddan
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (2,514 Views)

Hi Dror,
Skype for Windows already ships with builtin Arabic and Hebrew translations. Those localizations are not fully mirroring the whole user interface (UI), but at least ensure right alignment of text input and messages.
We're constantly working on improving the RTL support across all platforms. The new Skype for Windows 8 is a great example where we have a UI with full RTL support.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12527
Message 2 of 6 (2,454 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I've installed the WIndows 8 Skype and messenger, but it lacks RTL support:
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7895/33333333333h.jpg

1. Even if I write from right to left (using CTRL+SHIFT, it's not automatically goes to the right), after sending it, everything goes to the left and there is not option to change it.

2. When writing mixed text with Hebrew and English at the same message, the sentence gets mixed up and doesn't make any sense.

Since MS Messanger service has full RTL support, I can't see why Skype, which is MS software, can't have the same. Please, fix these minor bugs, and RTL people would use your software, but currently it's just impossible.

P.S. The post above concerns English UI, and not Hebrew UI. I don't understand why in the English UI there is no RTL support. 

Best,
Mike.

Moshe1010
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (2,340 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike,
When I referred to "Skype for Windows 8" I meant the Skype app that you can get from the Windows Store app in Windows 8. You are still using the "classic" Skype for Windows application that still has a few flaws in regards to RTL support indeed.

UPDATE:

I just tested the Skype for Windows 8 app myself with your scenario and indeed we force alignment of chat messages based on UI language chosen. I've flagged this to our development team.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12527
Message 4 of 6 (2,297 Views)

Skype does not support RTL at all, not Windows 8 APP or the classic. and millions of people wish to fix that soon.

Hamid.Elgendy
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 6 (1,449 Views)

MSN Messenger had full RTL support for non-Hebrew UI, Skype doesn't. This is a downgrade.

amiman
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 6 (975 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling