Re: Skype .lang file for Scottish Gaelic

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype .lang file for Scottish Gaelic

Here's the language file for Scottish Gaelic (Gàidhlig) for anyone who wants it. For extra support, you can also visit www.iGaidhlig.net

Feel free to notify me of any Gaelic-related issues. I can't do anything about the bad plurals, Skype doesn't allow proper plural formatting.

If someone has figured out how to use a .lang (or convert one) to something Mac OSX or Linux can use, please let me know too.

Enjoy!

akerbeltzalba
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 46
Message 1 of 11 (2,517 Views)

Thanks for sharing. Which Skype version did you create this translation with?

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 11906
Message 2 of 11 (2,468 Views)

[ Edited ]

The first release was for... 5.9 I think, this one is for the current one, 5.10, I keep the file up to date.

akerbeltzalba
Experienced Adventurer
Message 3 of 11 (2,465 Views)

Great. You might want to add the version number to your initial post then when you update it the next time. I probably wasn't the only reader wondering about that.

Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Message 4 of 11 (2,416 Views)

Sure, will do.

A question - how come that the Add New Contact dialog is not part of the .lang file? If I click Contacts > Add Contact, the window that pops up has a localized title but the content is all in English ("If they're on Skype too, calls are free", "Enter all the details you know", "Email", "Phone Number" etc). The country names are also not up fo localization for some reason, which is a shame. Any idea if that can be changed somehow?

akerbeltzalba
Experienced Adventurer
Message 5 of 11 (2,413 Views)

The "Add contact" dialog, just like "Skype Home" are web components that are dynamically loaded from the web. That's why the local .lang file unfortunately does not influence those. Right now we have now capability in place to offer custom localization for those web ressources as well. I'm sorry that I can't share better news.

Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Message 6 of 11 (2,409 Views)

<sigh> ... at least tell me that you're looking to improve the l10n process, with better support for non-official languages on platforms other than Windows? Waiting is easier if you know stuff is moving in the right direction :cool:

akerbeltzalba
Experienced Adventurer
Message 7 of 11 (2,397 Views)

Localization on Skype for Linux is fairly easy as it's a Qt application and you can use Qt Linguist to translate the accompanying .ts file.

Translating a MacOS application is way more complex, but alos much more powerful because of the way application layouts are designed on that platform. The advantage is that a localized app can have a different UI layout. You can use software like iLocalize to translate the Skype app, but it's not that easy to exchange the finished localizations.

Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Message 8 of 11 (2,394 Views)

Interesting - can you tell me more? I came across some forum postings about Qt Linguist and Skype but I have not been able to track it down.

I have never come across iLocalize. I found their website but it's thin on detail about how it works. What exactly are the problems of exchanging localizations?

akerbeltzalba
Experienced Adventurer
Message 9 of 11 (2,393 Views)

@Linux translation: Simply use your distribution's package manager to install Qt Linguist. When you've also installed Skype you will find the .ts files for translation in /usr/share/Skype

@MacOS: The challenge with exchanging localizations is that you can't simply send over a translation file and load it in the app. Instead you would need to open the application package and drop the ".lproj" localization project file in there. Nothing I would ask a normal Skype user to do.

Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Message 10 of 11 (2,228 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling