Re: How to change language in all Skype email comm...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

How to change language in all Skype email communication

[ Edited ]

Hi Skype,

I live in Hong Kong because my job brought me here. I don't speak Chinese. I don't read Chinese. I don't even understand Chinese. When I log on to your desktop client, everything appears in English. When I log on to skype.com, everything appears in English. So please tell me why do you have to send me offers, news, surveys, and everything else in Chinese. I don't even know if you are sending the stuff to me in traditional or simplified Chinese and I don't want to copy and paste your email into GOOGLE Translate to understand what you are promoting. I went through account settings various times but I can't find any setting to change default language for all email communications. 

I represent not only myself but a lot of friends I have made here in Hong Kong who literally go through the same pain. I have intentionally subscribed to Skype news and communications. But I am about receiving 1 or 2 more emails in an alient language away before I permanently block all Skype communications.  And permanently blocking would be a lose-lose scenario for both of us because I really like Skype. 

Anyways, the main point from this message is how do I change the language of all your email communications?

ParthSha
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 26 (4,622 Views)

Re: How to change language in all Skype email communication

Has anyone replied to this post. I have the same problem, if I try to buy skype credit the page starts opening in English but opens up in Chinese. Then it automatically translates to English (partially) but all the offers are for Chinese people. I spent a few months in China and this has being happening since

JessieL
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 2 of 26 (4,138 Views)

If you created your Skype account from within China you are bound to our local partner and their payment process. We can't change that partner connection of your account. So if the Chinese payment option is not working for your you would need to create a new Skype account while not being located in China.

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12567
Message 3 of 26 (4,088 Views)

Hi ,  I have a similar problem.  Allof a sudden for no reason everything changed fro English to

Japanese.  how do I get back to English ?

oldnick82
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 4 of 26 (3,845 Views)

My notification emails are also in Chinese (I think). I set up my skype account in the UK and it is linked to a UK credit card. The only Chinese connection I can think of is that i bought my computer in Singapore. Eerything else is in English.  What should I do?

Frin_Strunt
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 26 (3,287 Views)

This is the most disgusting feature of Skype which they onesidedly imposed on us paying customers. I live in Qatar but don't know Arabic and they send me loads of e-mails in Arabic. I don't understand what are they doing with my money. I am actively looking to sign up another VOIP service very soon and would suggest everyone here sick of this feature to do the same.  Skype with its success has become to arrogant to listen to customers' needs. It's a sad downfall of once a good company. RIP.

Devdoha
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 4
Message 6 of 26 (2,975 Views)

Ok that's fine, however, what happens when you return to the states and continue to receive emails in the language in which you first signed on.  I lived in Germany for several years, moved back to the states a couple of years now and still receive Skype emails in German.  I have tried several times to get this corrected but to no avail.  Skype is about to update their terms and conditions and guess what?  My email telling me this is in German.  How do you correct this problem?

Posted from Microsoft Windows RT Tablet
De3
Tourist
Message 7 of 26 (2,129 Views)

Hallo,

I'm afraid right now there's no way to change the default langauge you want to receive communications from Skype in. It's currently being determined by your account creation country or the language you used on your Skype web account when ordering a Skype product.

We have heard the feedback here on the community over the past years and are reworking this, but unfortunately due to the complexity of this change it will take a while.

To read our terms of service in English please go here: http://www.skype.com/en/legal/

Keep your Skype up to date
Did my reply answer your question? Accept it as a solution to help others, Thanks.
Claudius
Community Manager
Community Manager icon
Kudos: 12567
Message 8 of 26 (2,118 Views)

In my case, if Skype refuses to let me choose my language of communication, I will stop using Skype. There are excellent alternatives with better prices available. I want the ability to set my preferred language to English.
Posted from Apple iPad
Cinical
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 9 of 26 (1,953 Views)

I get all my emails in Finnish, a language I don't understand; I speak Swedish, an official language here in Finland.

I just don't understand how a company which business idea is to let people communincate in their own language over the country borders thnks that everone speaks (all of) the official languages of the country in which they sign up for the first time!

And how can this possibly take this long to fix???

Sa113
Tourist
Kudos: 5
Message 10 of 26 (1,916 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling