Why no App for Samsung 6000 series!!

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Why no App for Samsung 6000 series!!

How come you can only get skype on the 7000 and 8000 series but not the 6000 series if we still have internet capabilities and smart hub? I can even use it on my iphone so when are you fetching out an update for the Samsung 6000 users?

Shorty
Staff

Accepted Solution

Hi

Assuming that your Samsung Series 6500+ TV is a 2011 model, then Skype should be available and pre-installed. It should appear on the Smart Hub menu, on the second page of icons at the bottom (you have to navigate right to get to it). The lower end of the 6000 series range didn't support Skype in 2011.

We are expecting the software for 2012 TVs to be released by Samsung shortly. It will become available as part of TV software update.

View solution in original post
iskll33
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 5 (5,031 Views)

Re: Why no App for Samsung 6000 series!!

Amazingly, no reply, what a surprise!

I'm wondering the same thing! I managed to load the Skype application on my 6000 series TV using an Apache web server and the Skype widget/app that's currently in circulation. However, even with the Samsung CY-STC1100 attached the app doesn't execute. It just sits there with the status 'Connecting...', which takes me back into the dark ages when error handling didn't exist. I'm guessing it's a firmware issue because the webcam doesn't illuminate with the little blue light that says it's alive. It would be good if somebody cam back and said why you have to spend £1200-£2500 to appreciate Skype (freeware) on your TV.

IMAtechie
Novel Tourist
Message 2 of 5 (4,977 Views)

Hi

Assuming that your Samsung Series 6500+ TV is a 2011 model, then Skype should be available and pre-installed. It should appear on the Smart Hub menu, on the second page of icons at the bottom (you have to navigate right to get to it). The lower end of the 6000 series range didn't support Skype in 2011.

We are expecting the software for 2012 TVs to be released by Samsung shortly. It will become available as part of TV software update.

Shorty
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 12
Message 3 of 5 (4,967 Views)

Any update on this?  I have a 2012 d6500 and the Skype app is not appearing in the app store.

pipsdad
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 4 of 5 (4,228 Views)

Same thing here, a 55" smart TV with Twitter, Google Talk, and Facebook but Skype isn't available.  Sounds like a money grab. 

How much is Samsung paying you?

McStyls
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 5 (3,399 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling