Re: Using 'smart' TV's in a corporate LAN

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Using 'smart' TV's in a corporate LAN

Hi -

Looking at the possibility of purchasing a pair of skype capable TV's and installing them in two offices of our comapnay to provide 'point-to-point' video conference.

The offices have a dedicated 4Mb connection between each other, and have access to the internet (although the web connection would be too slow for video calls).

Will the skype tv's send the video data in a direct peer-to-peer connection ?

And which ports would we need to open up on the routers ?

Apologies if this isn't the best forum to post in, please suggest a more appropriate one if that is the case.

Thanks

Steve

steve_b_1974
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (288 Views)

Hi Steve

Interesting question :happy: I suspect it won't work in a direct peer-to-peer situation, without each being connected to the open internet. However, let me ping one of our engineers and get an answer for you. I'll reply back to this chat when I have one. 

Best wishes

Theo

Shorty
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 12
Message 2 of 4 (284 Views)

Hi Steve,
We don't believe this will work, but you could try it with desktop clients and check the call technical data to confirm.
For more information, check out the Skype IT Administrator's Guide here: http://download.skype.com/share/business/guides/skype-it-administrators-guide.pdf
Best,
Jill

JKTol
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 8
Message 3 of 4 (278 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Theo, Jill

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly.

I have been having a read of the it admin guide as I found it about half an hour ago :happy:

Skype for business doesn't seem to have the advanced option to look at call quality info, but I have managed to establish by trying some test file transfers, that connections are being relayed (and are therefore super slooooow)  between two laptops that are connected to the LAN almost side by side in the floor ports :sad:

This also means that the video stream is attempting to go out over the painfully slow internet connection, so it's not useable.

I'm coming to the conclusion that it's going to be a struggle to get this working.

It's a shame because a pair of standalone 'box-of-tricks' to do point-to-point Video conference costs £1000's  and skype looked like it would have been a super solution.

If you have any other thoughts or suggestions , I'm all ears (or eyes)

Steve

steve_b_1974
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 4 (274 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling