Re: Tely Labs telyHD - Group Video Calling

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Re: Tely Labs deleted - Group Video Calling

@Karralee, all these devices work differently. Different hardware, software, capacity, and capabilities. I don't expect it to be trivial on the technical side, but silence from Skype is frustrating and bad for TelyHD owners.

This thread is focusing on the *TelyHD*.

I suggest a similar thread should be started for the Visio product(s) as these are two different efforts.

It would be great to see lots of threads per product showing the increasing need for support and development attention.

Let's keep it up TelyHD users! Start support tickets with Skype!
epinto
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 21 of 29 (1,602 Views)

I think Tely are just going to tell you that it's out of their hands. They use the Skype libraries, and these won't support conference calling unless and until Skype fixes them. My complaint to Tely is that their advertising material does not make this clear, meaning I blew $250 of my company's money on something that doesn't do what I need.

poc
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 22 of 29 (1,595 Views)

Join the club.

edwards7
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 23 of 29 (1,544 Views)

Re: Group Video Calling - PROBLEM SOLVED!

edwards7 wrote:

My brother, sister, parents, and I are spread across the globe.  After careful research we all purchased the TelyHD and opened Skype Premium accounts to group call.  Surprise! No group calling - which is one of the main features of Skyping.  Looking in this Forum we find nothing but lame excuses.

Well, we solved the problem! We returned all 4 TelyHD systems, collected our total of $1000 spent and purchased 4 Logitech C615 HD cameras at $50.00 each from Walmart.  Works great! Fantastic camera controls (even Focus-imagine that!), excellent low light response, tons of special effects, and yes, even group calling.

The message is - Wake Up TelyHD & next time do some planning before you bring half a product onto the market.

Problem solved only if you have 4 computers to plug those Logitech c615's into.  I would hate for people to run out and buy one of these and realize they need to plug it into something to make it work :wink:

DAB
Novel Adventurer
Message 24 of 29 (1,437 Views)

Re: Group Video Calling - PROBLEM SOLVED! -Wrong !!

Pretty much all  devices except a computer do not support group calling. And I mean here everything, including smartphones, smart TV's, tablets (maybe except the windows based ones) and   Standalone devices like TelyHD.

Eventually they will, when Skype (Aka Microsoft) will  update their libraires to a new version that allows group calling  on "devices" rather than computers. Basically it is the version 5 of their client  that had  this feature enabled on the PC and Skypekit  and version  5 will need to be  reaching the "device" level.

As far as I can see, this is  probably 2-3 years away, so everybody have patience and stop whining, I'm pretty sure that they realize that there is a huge market  for this, just  engineering this properly will take a lot of  effort to get this implemented. The software engineering effort, testing at all is what i estimate at 2-3 years. This is no small task .

popgeo
Novel Adventurer
Message 25 of 29 (1,316 Views)

JKTol

I have a quick question as I am trying to achieve something with group video call. I have looked at the requirements for GROUP VIDEO CALLING that I want to add to my account because I might be teaching SPanish to more than 1 person at the same time.

1) What should be the recommended speed of the internet connection(down/up) if it was say 3 or 4 of us in the whole group?

2) If I MYSELF am the moderater with the group call feature, do THEIR computers or connections need to meet certain requirements?

3) Will I be able to take off the video and just go audio with everyone and SHARE MY SCREEN?

Thank you kindly in advance. Any and all help in an easy to understand explanation is greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Chris 

coachtravers
Novel Adventurer
Message 26 of 29 (998 Views)

We have purchased a TelyHD for our office as we use Skype to contact various divisions around the globe. However, now we are up and using it (and are very impressed with it!) we can;t work out how to make a group call which is vital to us. Non of your spec detail suggests this is not possible, so I wonder what we are doing wrong! And we do have a skype premium account.

Below is what we get from Tely Labs support - please give them a SkypeKit which enables multi-party video calls.

"Here's the deal: like all Skype-certified developers, we're dependent upon SkypeKit, which does not yet support multi-party video calls. Skype is aware of this limitation and hopefully will support this feature in a future release. We're very interested in it as well!

In the meantime, telyHD can *participate* in a multi-party call, and will automatically switch to audio-only mode. You will need to use Skype's own PC application to initiate the call. (It will complain that each telyHD unit needs to upgrade to 5.0 or later; you can ignore this warning.) On the telyHD screen, you will see an avatar for each person on the multi-party call. An avatar card will pulse when that person is speaking.

I'm sure this isn't quite the answer you were hoping to get, but hopefully it will be a "good enough" solution until multi-party is supported by SkypeKit and can be fullyl implemented on telyHD.

Thank you for contacting us and please let us know if you have any further questions!"

JuulFrost
Novel Adventurer
Message 27 of 29 (747 Views)

So it is now October 24th 2013 and there hasn't yet been any official response to as when Skype developers are going to update the SkypeKit API's so that support for group calling on TV Cam devices such as the TelyHD and the Logitech TV Cam is initiated.

Can we please get some sort of update as to the status of this? There is a MASSIVE demand for this feature. Every hardware product developer is pointing the finger directly at Skype, saying "We'd love to support skype group calling on this camera, Skype hasn't released the code to do it, sorry"

VermontSkype
Casual Tourist
Message 28 of 29 (318 Views)

Very disappointing. I recently purchased 3 TelyHD Skype products for family members and just now purchased premium account only to learn we cannot have group calls over holidays. Bummer. Major bummer.
Posted from Apple iPad
SLAO
Novel Tourist
Message 29 of 29 (208 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling