Skype Home Unavailable

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype Home Unavailable

Ever since the most recent update of yesterday, August 29, 2011, I have been unable to contact any of my contacts. The message Skype Home unavailable appears and below it says that the Skype Home is temporarily unavailable...please check later

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice but nothing changes.

Is this a problem with the program or is it a bug? Please help.

Thanks

Jmacphone2
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 16
Message 1 of 43 (12,930 Views)

Re: Skype Home Unavailable

Try looking at the thread "Skype home not available" and you'll see this is a known bug

0 Kudos
wld50
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 2 of 43 (12,906 Views)

Could you please help me resolve the problem...I don't know what you mean by "try looking at the thread"

Thanks

Jmacphone2
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 43 (12,895 Views)

Hello Jmacphone2,

I would suggest that you use the Windows "uninstaller" to remove Skype and then download the most recent version (5.5) of Skype and install it.

Go to the Windows Start button>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs (or Uninstall a program..)>click on Skype>and then the remove button on the top.  Once you do that and it completes, you will have removed all data or anything that may be conflicting with your recent upgrade.   Then go to your Download directory and double click on the Skype program to install the latest version. 

I hope you get your system going and we have helped you resolve this issue.

Thank You for using Skype and the Skype Community Forums.

Regards,

Victor S.

Skype Enterprise Support
VictorS
Experienced Adventurer
Kudos: 25
Message 4 of 43 (12,853 Views)

same here in california
0 Kudos
p0ulete
Casual Tourist
Message 5 of 43 (12,819 Views)

Unable to login from one of my computers

I have the same problem (my desktop is OK but the laptop fails). I did uninstall Skype completely (as per your help guide) and downloaded the latest version 5.5. During installation got an error message with code 2738 (something related to skype toolbar, I think) and then that "skype will be installed normal on you computer". But when the Welcome to Skype window pops up and I try to sign in with my user name and password, it opens my browser at "Index of file:///C:/ProgramData/Skype/Apps/login/". I run Windows 7 - Home premium edition on my laptop. Thx for your help.

Vlad

0 Kudos
amonbofis
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 43 (12,784 Views)

Thank you very much for your reply. I uninstalled the program 3 times and reinstalled the newest version but nothing worked. What did work however was so simple you can't imagine! All it took to finally rectify the problem, as well as having downloaded the newest program probably was a simple click to "online" in the status area. The message "Skype Home Unavailable" disappeared and I became a happy camper once again. 

Have a great day Victor and thanks again!

Joy

Jmacphone2
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 43 (12,771 Views)

Re: Unable to login from one of my computers

amonbofis wrote:

I have the same problem (my desktop is OK but the laptop fails). I did uninstall Skype completely (as per your help guide) and downloaded the latest version 5.5. During installation got an error message with code 2738 (something related to skype toolbar, I think) and then that "skype will be installed normal on you computer". But when the Welcome to Skype window pops up and I try to sign in with my user name and password, it opens my browser at "Index of file:///C:/ProgramData/Skype/Apps/login/". I run Windows 7 - Home premium edition on my laptop. Thx for your help.

Vlad

Please go here and once there, click on the "Fixit" Icon/Button: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949140

Then please do this:

Reboot.

Then please install over what you have from here, when prompted please click the run or open button: http://skype.com/go/getskype-full

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 8 of 43 (12,770 Views)

Jmacphone2 wrote:

Ever since the most recent update of yesterday, August 29, 2011, I have been unable to contact any of my contacts. The message Skype Home unavailable appears and below it says that the Skype Home is temporarily unavailable...please check later

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice but nothing changes.

Is this a problem with the program or is it a bug? Please help.

Thanks

Please follow these Steps:

1. Only do Step 1 if you are on WIN7:

Stop Skype.

Be sure that Compatibility Mode is not enabled (right-click on Skype shortcut icon/launcher and select Properties >> Compatibility) - for Windows 7 users only.

Try to launch Skype.

2. If Step 1 fails or you are NOT using WIN7 do:

Open an Internet Explorer browser, and go to https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%..., what happens?

If it fails, Please do the instructions below. Using your Windows Control Panel, please do:

Internet Options -> Advanced Tab Please click the "Reset" button.

Then, Go to the Connections Tab.

Make sure that the only checkbox checked is "Automatically detect settings", then click the "OK" button.

Close any open Internet Explorer browser windows, open a new IE browser window and try https://login.skype.com/account/login-form?intcmp=sign-in&return_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsecure.skype.com%... again. What happens? If it works, please stop/start Skype What happens?

3. If Step 2 does NOT solve the problem:

Please install the normal version using the instructions below:

You can install the Current release by doing this from the top of this page:

Get Skype -> Windows -> Choose the regular release, please do NOT remove what you already have installed, simply, install over.

These instructions have worked for many and is the quickest thing to try to resolve issues such as this.

Also, what operating system are you on?

What is the Make and Model of your computer?

Do you have all Windows updates and updates to any hardware devices by the manufacturers?

0 Kudos
TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 578
Message 9 of 43 (12,767 Views)

Re: Unable to login from one of my computers

Hi UOLord...I did everything you suggested but the result is the same. I noticed though that the link you gave me for the Fix_it is not for Windows 7, but I downloaded and run it anyway. After reboot I installed SkypeSetupFull from your link. The message this time was:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738." and "Skype Toolbars Install failed. Skype will be installed on your computer as normal". Everything happens like I described in my original note. What now? Thx for trying.

Vlad

0 Kudos
amonbofis
Novel Adventurer
Message 10 of 43 (12,757 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling