Experience feedback using Skype Manager...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Experience feedback using Skype Manager...

Hi, afer spending a day to get into this topic and spending some money, here are the things I found out and would like to share / ask the support team:

1. Why do I need new Skype accounts for "business" usage? This is really a PITA. I need to add my contacts again (without being able to send one message to all of them, why this is happening). I would like to see, that I can add every Skype Account to Skype Manager. This looks like a rather silly restriciton to me.

2. Why can't I add online-numbers for different countries? I have some users in Germany, some in Switzerland, etc.

3. At least for Switzerland I can't get a online number for all area-codes. Only three. Is it planned to extend this? Can existing numbers be replaced than?

4. Since I have to create new business Skype Accounts, a missing feature of Skype is to login in with multiple accounts at the same time. There are work arounds for this, but it's cumbersome. IMO this should be added to Skype ASAP.

5. It would be nice to assign one online-number to multiple users at the same time, so the frist user picking up gets the call. This would make Skype a virtual PBX system, which IMO would be very good!

What's very nice about Skype Manager is, that changes are mostly instant. Getting an online number for Switzerland was a matter of 2-3 minutes.

robert_m_muench
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 1 of 6 (800 Views)

Re: Experience feedback using Skype Manager...

[ Edited ]

robert_m_muench wrote:

Hi, afer spending a day to get into this topic and spending some money, here are the things I found out and would like to share / ask the support team:

1. Why do I need new Skype accounts for "business" usage? This is really a PITA. I need to add my contacts again (without being able to send one message to all of them, why this is happening). I would like to see, that I can add every Skype Account to Skype Manager. This looks like a rather silly restriciton to me.

Imagine you have 1 person that changes the password on a normal Skype name that has multiple Online Numbers attached, and they refuse to give back the password unless....... Not a good place to be with no way to answer/make calls.

2. Why can't I add online-numbers for different countries? I have some users in Germany, some in Switzerland, etc.

You can purchase Online Numbers for different countries.

3. At least for Switzerland I can't get a online number for all area-codes. Only three. Is it planned to extend this? Can existing numbers be replaced than?

You will need to ask customer service, in some cases, some numbers go quickly, and if you check from time to time, you may see others added.

4. Since I have to create new business Skype Accounts, a missing feature of Skype is to login in with multiple accounts at the same time. There are work arounds for this, but it's cumbersome. IMO this should be added to Skype ASAP.

Please see this: https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA829/How-can-I-run-two-Skype-accounts-on-the-same-computer You would have problems being in a call at the same time, if you are sharing the same audio devices.

5. It would be nice to assign one online-number to multiple users at the same time, so the frist user picking up gets the call. This would make Skype a virtual PBX system, which IMO would be very good!

You can setup call fowarding to go to mutiple Skype names and/or numbers to do this.

What's very nice about Skype Manager is, that changes are mostly instant. Getting an online number for Switzerland was a matter of 2-3 minutes.

Also, if someone changes a password, you as an Admin of any Business Skype name, can reset it at anytime.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Kudos: 585
Message 2 of 6 (799 Views)

TheUberOverLord wrote: 

Imagine you have 1 person that changes the password on a normal Skype name that has multiple Online Numbers attached, and they refuse to give back the password unless....... Not a good place to be with no way to answer/make calls.

OT: This editor is not really good for quoting... anyway. As an admin I should always be able to detach a person from an online-number with or without password. If a person is not related to an online number in Skype Manager even knowing "a password" should not help to use the number. 

Only with different Skype Manager accounts. It's not possible to purchase online numbers from different countries in one Skype Manager account.

You will need to ask customer service, in some cases, some numbers go quickly, and if you check from time to time, you may see others added.

I referred to local-area codes, not specific numbers in an area. IMO there is no chance that all numbers in an area code are gone.

Please see this: ...

I know, it works, but it's not convinient. It should be a standard feature of the Skype client.

You would have problems being in a call at the same time, if you are sharing the same audio devices.

No, it's like I have 5 Phones on my desk. If I'm on phone-1 and an other one rings, I just ignore it, hold line-1 etc. I don't see any problems. And the sound device can be used in mix mode.

You can setup call fowarding to go to mutiple Skype names and/or numbers to do this.

Ok, seems I missed this option. Do the target people have to be members of the Skype Manager? Can I use home users as forwarding targets?

robert_m_muench
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 6 (791 Views)

[ Edited ]

robert_m_muench wrote:

TheUberOverLord wrote: 

OT: This editor is not really good for quoting... anyway. As an admin I should always be able to detach a person from an online-number with or without password. If a person is not related to an online number in Skype Manager even knowing "a password" should not help to use the number.

Yes, I was making reference that normal Skype names can have as many as 10 different Online Numbers.

Sadly, some companies have used normal Skype names for business purposes and they then allow many people to logon using a Skype name. That's where there can be trouble.

Only with different Skype Manager accounts. It's not possible to purchase online numbers from different countries in one Skype Manager account.

This is not correct, you can allocate as many Online Numbers as you wish, from the same Skype Manager account and for different countries. All you need to do is have a member to create/assign that Online number to.

See https://manager.skype.com/features/online-number

I referred to local-area codes, not specific numbers in an area. IMO there is no chance that all numbers in an area code are gone.

I am saying to ask customer service if those area codes are offered currently and that sometimes some area codes go fast, so you will need to check what is available from time to time as well.

Please see this: ...

I know, it works, but it's not convinient. It should be a standard feature of the Skype client.

If we are dealing with the same subject, which is running mutliple Skype client programs at the same time, it is a standard feature, it's a command line option that can be added to a shortcut that when clicked will always allow other Skype clients to be started.

You would have problems being in a call at the same time, if you are sharing the same audio devices.

No, it's like I have 5 Phones on my desk. If I'm on phone-1 and an other one rings, I just ignore it, hold line-1 etc. I don't see any problems. And the sound device can be used in mix mode.

If you use the same audio devices then any call(s) in progress would get the same input/output from you as the others. Mixing is in fact the problem. The only way around this is to use mulitiple audio devices and assign them to specific Skype clients so that multiple Skype clients can have calls in progress at the same time.

Ok, seems I missed this option. Do the target people have to be members of the Skype Manager? Can I use home users as forwarding targets?

IMHO, what I would do is create bogus Skype Business names, 1 for each Online Number, and don't use them for normal business, simply use them to set up call forwarding for the Online Number assigned to them.

Nobody but you would ever logon as these Skype business names, they would use another Skype business name that you created for them.

Yes, you can call forward to any Skype name or combination of Skype names and/or telephone numbers, even if that Skype name is not a member of the Business Manager.

An additional benefit of using this method would be that you could create custom voicemail greetings for each Online Number as well, in the event that nobody answered the forwared call as one example, which only you can change because no member of the Business Manager actually owns ("Is Assigned") any of the Online Numbers.

Members and/or other Skype Names or telephone numbers are receiving calls forwarded by the bogus Business Skype Name assigned to each Online Number.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 4 of 6 (783 Views)

TheUberOverLord wrote:

This is not correct, you can allocate as many Online Numbers as you wish, from the same Skype Manager account and for different countries. All you need to do is have a member to create/assign that Online number to.

Here is the error message: As your registered address is not currently registered in Germany you cannot buy Online Numbers in Germany.

That's my problem. My address is in Switzerland and I want to get a German online number. That's not working.

If we are dealing with the same subject, which is running mutliple Skype client programs at the same time, it is a standard feature, it's a command line option that can be added to a shortcut that when clicked will always allow other Skype clients to be started.

I'm using Skype on OSX and IIRC this feature is only available for the Windows version.

If you use the same audio devices then any call(s) in progress would get the same input/output from you as the others.

I don't see how I can do multiple calls at the same time from one computer / phone. IMO there will only be one active call at the moment.

IMHO, what I would do is create bogus Skype Business names, 1 for each Online Number, and don't use them for normal business, simply use them to set up call forwarding for the Online Number assigned to them.

That's a good idea. Need to check what kind of subscription / pre-paid credits we need. I would forward to: Skype users (no fees), land lines and mobiles.

Nobody but you would ever logon as these Skype business names, they would use another Skype business name that you created for them.

Sorry, I don't get this sentence.

Thanks so far for the feedback.

robert_m_muench
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 6 (776 Views)

You are very welcome.

Yes there are restrictions with Online Numbers in some countries, however these restrictions apply to everyone who uses Online Numbers not just Online Numbers purchased from the Business Manager.

I had no idea that you were using a Mac. I am not aware of any working methods to run 2 Skype clients at the same time on a Mac.

I meant that by creating bogus Skype business names, 1 for each Online Number, there would be no need to actually use them for anything, minus setting up call forwarding for their Online Number.

There would be no need to assign these bogus Skype Business Manager Skype names any services, minus assigning them a Online Number.

TheUberOverLord
Aviator
Message 6 of 6 (774 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling