Re: Skype to go international cost for receiver

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Skype to go international cost for receiver

Hello,

I"m calling to inquire about using Skype to go, specifically from my UK cell phone to call a US number.  I have an unlimited US subscription, and a US based Skype number.  I have a couple related questions:

1) why do receivers in the US see the incoming call from my UK cell phone number when I have a US based Skype number?  Does this mean they will be charged international calling rates if I call and talk to them using this method?

2) I'm having trouble calling Skype to go numbers using the Skype app on my mobile device (I am only successful when calling using the mobile phone itself).  I am entering a registered phone number and the associated PIN number when prompted, but am told that they are incorrect.  Thus, I cannot call anyone using Skype with my mobile device except for other Skype users.  Is there a method to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
RAFL
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 6 (922 Views)

Checking for you.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN [UTC MINUS 5 HOURS]. LOCATION - PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA, USA.

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1531
Message 2 of 6 (891 Views)

RAFL wrote:

Hello,

I"m calling to inquire about using Skype to go, specifically from my UK cell phone to call a US number.  I have an unlimited US subscription, and a US based Skype number.  I have a couple related questions:

1) why do receivers in the US see the incoming call from my UK cell phone number when I have a US based Skype number?  Does this mean they will be charged international calling rates if I call and talk to them using this method?

2) I'm having trouble calling Skype to go numbers using the Skype app on my mobile device (I am only successful when calling using the mobile phone itself).  I am entering a registered phone number and the associated PIN number when prompted, but am told that they are incorrect.  Thus, I cannot call anyone using Skype with my mobile device except for other Skype users.  Is there a method to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks in advance.

For your first question, what appears to be happening is that Skype is able to pass along the Caller ID number of someone calling you.  When Skype is able to pass along the caller's Caller ID number, even if it is your UK mobile number calling your own Skype To Go number, it will do that.  The phones in the US won't be charged any more for receiving that call, even with the UK mobile number in the Caller ID display.  I see this whenever I receive calls from US or UK telephones on my US or UK Skype Numbers. 

As for the second question, if you are using the Skype app on your mobile phone, why not call the phone numbers directly from the Skype app instead of first calling a Skype To Go number? 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
Please use plain text.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 668
Message 3 of 6 (833 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello RAFL,

I raised your issue with the STG team at one of our regular sessions. They commented as follows:

1. It is normal for people see the number you are calling from and there should be no international calling rates. Perhaps you will find some tips here: http://community.skype.com/t5/Skype-To-Go/I-m-asked-for-my-registered-phone-and-PIN/td-p/184790 for registering the mobile number and PIN. But why are you asked for them in the first place? Do you wish your number to be hidden?

2. Using a Skype app, it would be better if you enter recipient number instead of S2G number. It will cost the same, but will skip SkypeIn service. Also please advise me which cellphone carrier you are using.

Thanks.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN [UTC MINUS 5 HOURS]. LOCATION - PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA, USA.

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
Please use plain text.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1531
Message 4 of 6 (807 Views)

Skype to go numbers are called like any other phone number. It sounds like the App is trying to call using Skype. That is not how to use a Skype to go number. You do not need Skype on your phone to call a Skype to go number. You just dial it, not having to use Skype is the whole reason for using the service. Your Skype App is connecting to Skype on the internet and trying to make a skype call. The App is for when you don't have Skype to go numbers setup. It is for calling phone numbers, not Skype to go numbers.

Please use plain text.
BuckFisher
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 6 (684 Views)

1) the recipient of a pstn call placed through a STG number is supposed to see the Caller ID of the orginating phone, not the STG number -- that is how it is designed to work

2) you cannot call your STG number to complete a call using a Skype client, and it makes no sense to complicate matters by trying, since you can make the same call directly using your Skype client -- you are supposed to call a STG number using either a mobile phone or a landline

Regards,
Neil
Please use plain text.
Neil
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 273
Message 6 of 6 (658 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling