Skype To Go #'s Vs. Online Number

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Skype To Go #'s Vs. Online Number

I will be traveling abroad for work and need to have a number where I can be reached from multiple countries as well as call back, mostly to the US, but to other countries as well.

Could you please explain the difference between the Skype to Go and a Online Number with a subscription.  I would have the Skype app downloaded to my iPhone 4, presumably running skype in the background for the Online Number to work as a mobile number.  Is there a better way to go about this? Another service perhaps

Any suggestions for service options would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Chad

0 Kudos
Chad_Harp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (1,922 Views)

Re: Skype To Go #'s Vs. Online Number

Which country are you travelling to?

0 Kudos
LonNW1
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 15
Message 2 of 4 (1,919 Views)

I will be going to multiple countries......starting out in Australia, then South Africa, Phillipines, Brazil, etc.

I know that service is only offered in certain countries, but for the sake of my question, lets say that it will be available in all of the countries I am going to be operating out of.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Chad_Harp
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (1,917 Views)

To clarify:

Online Numbers - you buy Online Numbers for the cities / countries where you want people there to reach you at local call rates. E.g. you used to live in London and now live in Sydney, then you get an Online Number for London so all your friends back in London can call this number and it will ring on your Skype in Sydney (or wherever you happen to be in the world).

Skype To Go - you set up STG numbers in places where you live to call to other countries from your mobile or landline. If you live in London, you get a STG number for London, which you need to call from a UK mobile or landline, and then you dial out to any country. If you move around frequently then STG is NOT the best solution, because you have to set up STG numbers in each of the places you move to AND you have to call from a phone registered in that country, e.g. if you travel to Greece, you could set up a Greek STG number, but you would also have to call from a Greek mobile or landline to avoid any roaming charges. It's better just to use Skype on your laptop or the Skype app for iPhone/Android and use a WiFi connection to dial out to other countries at Skype's low rates.

0 Kudos
LonNW1
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 15
Message 4 of 4 (1,906 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling