Skype To Go from US to China

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Skype To Go from US to China

[ Edited ]

Hi, I want to setup Skype To Go number so that I can call from United States to China. I learn that I would be charged by both my mobile phone company and Skype. Here is the story.

1. My mobile has 700 minutes monthly

2. I subscripe the "Unlimited World" in Skype

This is what I understand: When I make calls from my mobile phone to China using the Skype ToGo number, I will not be charged from Skype (under "fair usage") because of my subscription, and my call minutes will be deduted from that in my mobile phone monthly plan. So it seems that there will be no extra charges on both sides, right? As far as you know, is there any other possible fee from mobile phone company, except for the fee I pay for the 700 minutes, I need to pay to make such calls? Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks.

LonNW1
Staff

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

0 Kudos

To be on the safe side, it is always good to check with your mobile operator whether you will be charged any extra fee for calling a Skype To Go number.

Skype To Go numbers in the US are just regular landline numbers, so in most cases they just use up your monthly minutes when you call them. And yes, your Skype subscription applies - so in your case calls to China are "free", using your mobile free minutes and the Skype subscription.

View solution in original post
babypelican
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 14 (4,485 Views)

Re: Skype To Go from US to China

To be on the safe side, it is always good to check with your mobile operator whether you will be charged any extra fee for calling a Skype To Go number.

Skype To Go numbers in the US are just regular landline numbers, so in most cases they just use up your monthly minutes when you call them. And yes, your Skype subscription applies - so in your case calls to China are "free", using your mobile free minutes and the Skype subscription.
LonNW1
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 15
Message 2 of 14 (4,462 Views)

What about making calls from China to the USA? I will be in China this fall for 3 weeks. What is the most economical way to call the USA using my mobile and/or my computer? I have tried searching for this answer and welcome the personal response. Thanks!

rheann
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 14 (4,449 Views)

Unfortunately, there are no Skype To Go numbers for China at the moment.

Hence the best solution would be getting Skype on your mobile (e.g. Skype for iPhone, Android or Symbian) and making calls to the US using your mobile's WiFi connection. Or get Skype on your computer and make calls to the US from there.

LonNW1
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 15
Message 4 of 14 (4,442 Views)

I appreciate your timely advice!
rheann
Novel Adventurer
Message 5 of 14 (4,436 Views)

My Droid x has a Skype ap. Is there a fee for making a skype mobile call from China to the US in a Wifi zone? Does it cost my caller if he/she is mobile? landline? xie! xie!

rheann
Novel Adventurer
Message 6 of 14 (4,435 Views)

Got it. Sounds great. Thanks for your reply. 

babypelican
Novel Adventurer
Message 7 of 14 (4,432 Views)

[ Edited ]

rheann brings up a good question.

We associate our phone to Skype and that's why Skype identity us in the United States, and thus the Skype To Go number is a US number, beginning with our area code. Now imagine this scenario, if Skype To Go is available in China, you need to switch your associated phone number to a China number (beginning with +86) so that Skype can allocate a local number for you. There are two things I am concerned about.

1. Is there any restriction on the frequency of changing the associated phone number under the Skype policy?

2. Skype have to negotiate with Chinese phone carriers and even the government on the number assignment, which I think is one of the main obstacles for now.

And of course, I'd love to see the Skype To Go in China can be available as soon as possible, but in the near future, the most economical way would be a subscription using wifi as suggested, or a skype-to-skype channel.

babypelican
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 14 (4,430 Views)

Is there a fee for making a skype mobile call from China to the US in a Wifi zone? Does it cost my caller if he/she is mobile? landline?

------------------

It doesn't cost money if you have a subscription, or you'll be charged at a standard rate. Wifi, rather than 3G or 4G, is the only way that allows you to make calls to a mobile / landline number from Skype on your cell phone.

Your caller will be charged as much as a normal call (minutes for cell phone or nothing for landline). 

Hope it helps.

babypelican
Novel Adventurer
Message 9 of 14 (4,416 Views)

I've been reading this thread, and I don't think I'm getting this.  I'm in Canada, and I wanted to set up skype to go to call my daughter in Germany and friends in the U.S.  The instructions say I need to register my phone in the country I'm calling; is that right?  How do I do that if I plan to call more than one country?  And if I go to another country and call back to Canada, being that my phone number is already Canadian, would that mean that I don't have to do anything in terms of registering my phone in Canada?  And wouldn't my phone carrier have to be involved in such a process?  Also, is using skype to go any cheaper than just using my credits and dialing directly from my computer? 

Thanks

The_Cynergist
Novel Tourist
Message 10 of 14 (4,377 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling