NY city zone???: Setting up Skype to go

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

NY city zone???: Setting up Skype to go

Hello, I just wanted to set up my Skype to go but ... somewhere in the setup process (Which phone will you call from?, Select Location) the question arises for me what is a NY city zone (1-15) and which one is the right one to choose. For one not familiar with the NY telephone network it is a really hard question! By the way I want to use a cell phone, the hotel phone, and a public phone. Hope someone can help. Thank you in advance for your help. Michael
aloha-berlin58
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 3 (10,912 Views)

Re: NY city zone???: Setting up Skype to go

aloha-berlin58 wrote:
 Hope someone can help.

contact customer service     

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1400
Message 2 of 3 (10,893 Views)

Re: NY city zone???: Setting up Skype to go

The zones are a subdivision of the different area codes, typically used to determine areas for free calling within New York City (also used in other areas, but I will stick with NYC for this discussion).  You can get to a list of zones for New York City at:

http://www.localcallingguide.com/lca_exch.php?exch=136090

This link shows the area codes and prefixes within each of those area codes for New York City Zone 1, basically Manhattan.  Mostly numbers in the 212, 646, and 917 area codes - with a couple of prefixes in the 718 area code.  There are other links toward the bottom of that page, so you can see which area codes and prefixes fall in the other telephone zones for New York City. 

Unless you want to go to the trouble of determining the area codes and prefixes of the phones you will be calling from, it may just be easier to pick one zone and just go with that.  For example, New York City Zone 1 if you will be in Manhattan much of the time.  You'll have to be mindful of the charges for using each type of phone, of course - those charges would be separate from Skype.

Here is a map showing the area codes covering New York City and the surrounding area:

http://www.nanpa.com/area_code_maps/usmaps/nyinset.gif

Good luck!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 641
Message 3 of 3 (10,878 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling