i wonder will online number suit my needs?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

i wonder will online number suit my needs?

[ Edited ]

I am a Chinese student and am going to Washington State, USA. soon.

My needs:

I don't plan to buy local mobile network's plans.

I just want to use my laptop to make and receive calls from domestic US mobile numbers and landlines.

if online number suits my needs, how much does it cost?

if it doesn't, are there any other skype solutions? & how much does it cost?

what about the unlimited world subscription of $13.99/month or the pay monthly subscription to calls in U.S?

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer

Accepted Solution

ricsrevenge wrote:

My needs:

I just want to use my laptop to make and receive calls from domestic US mobile numbers and landlines.

what about the unlimited world subscription of $13.99/month or the pay monthly subscription to calls in U.S?

An Online Number would cost US$ 18/3 months, US$ 60/year, or - if you first purchase a subscription for calling telephones - US$ 30/year.  You can get an Online Number in Washington state. 

To cover your calling to telephones, you can use Skype Credit or purchase a subscription.  If you only need to call telephones in the USA (landlines and mobiles), the Unlimited USA (or Unlimited USA & Canada) subscription at US$ 2.99/month is a good way to go.  The Unlimited World subscription would also cover calling to landlines and mobiles in the USA, but take a look at the list of countries and types of phones in those other countries first.  For most countries, the Unlimited World subscription only covers calling to landline phones - not mobiles.  But if you are only concerned with calling phones in the USA, go with the US-specific subscription.

Another suggestion... set up your Skype account and make those purchases while you are in the US, or somewhere outside of China.  Then you are dealing directly with Skype, instead of having to go through Skype's Chinese partner.  That will probably work better for you in the long run.

Good luck!

View solution in original post
ricsrevenge
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 1 of 4 (1,049 Views)

Re: i wonder will online number suit my needs?

ricsrevenge wrote:

My needs:

An Online Number would cost US$ 18/3 months, US$ 60/year, or - if you first purchase a subscription for calling telephones - US$ 30/year.  You can get an Online Number in Washington state. 

To cover your calling to telephones, you can use Skype Credit or purchase a subscription.  If you only need to call telephones in the USA (landlines and mobiles), the Unlimited USA (or Unlimited USA & Canada) subscription at US$ 2.99/month is a good way to go.  The Unlimited World subscription would also cover calling to landlines and mobiles in the USA, but take a look at the list of countries and types of phones in those other countries first.  For most countries, the Unlimited World subscription only covers calling to landline phones - not mobiles.  But if you are only concerned with calling phones in the USA, go with the US-specific subscription.

Another suggestion... set up your Skype account and make those purchases while you are in the US, or somewhere outside of China.  Then you are dealing directly with Skype, instead of having to go through Skype's Chinese partner.  That will probably work better for you in the long run.

Good luck!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 2 of 4 (1,037 Views)

Thanks so much for the reply! really helpful!

so now it's my plan:

1. go to USA

2. sign in skype account and make perchases:

(1) unlimited USA $6.99/month << for making calls to domestic phone number and landlines

(2) online number $30/year<< for receiving calls from domestic phone number and landlines

can this plan work?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ricsrevenge
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 3 of 4 (1,033 Views)

ricsrevenge wrote:

Thanks so much for the reply! really helpful!

so now it's my plan:

1. go to USA

2. sign in skype account and make perchases:

(1) unlimited USA $6.99/month << for making calls to domestic phone number and landlines

(2) online number $30/year<< for receiving calls from domestic phone number and landlines

can this plan work?

Thanks again.

Actually, the Unlimited USA & Canada plan - when purchased in the USA, it also covers Canada - is only US$ 2.99/month.  If you purchase it for a year at a time, you get a 15% discount, making it just over US$ 30/year.  But you are on the right track. 

Set up the Skype account here in the US, download the Skype programs and apps you need here in the US (or somewhere outside of China).  Purchase the subscription first, so you get the discount on the Online Number (US$ 30/year instead of US$ 60/year).  Then make sure to go into the Privacy settings in the Skype program on a computer (not the apps on mobile phones and other devices) and allow calls from anyone to the Online Number.  Otherwise, callers won't get anything other than a busy signal.  Then you effectively have a US home phone, except that it won't call 911 (emergency-services number).

Good luck!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 4 of 4 (1,023 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling