Re: > LANDLINE PHONE NUMBER AS CALLER ID

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Thanks, so what's the solution then?

paulroberts
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 75
Message 11 of 18 (835 Views)

Hi, Paulroberts,

Apologies for not mentioning.  Unfortunately, fixed line (or land-line) numbers can not be used by Skype as a Caller ID number for the reason noted previously in this thread: Skype sends an SMS message to the mobile number to verify that the mobile number is a.)  yours, and that b.) you received the SMS verification code.

Fixed line/land line numbers can not receive SMS messages, so therefore a fixed line number can not be used for Caller ID.

Regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1948
Message 12 of 18 (785 Views)

Please can a Skype moderator reply to this.  I have just bought a subscription only to find that it is useless as I cannot currently verify caller ID with a mobile, only my landline.  Please cancel the money I have paid, which apparently must be used in one month..the rest of the subscription I believe I have cancelled. It's stupid to be required to have a mobile for verification.

onions
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 13 of 18 (761 Views)

Hi Elaine,

Your answer is adequate but does not give a y hope for a solution. I have been waiting for three weeks to see if Skype would offer some hope that this situation would be investigated, and a solution developed and implemented. Please, Skype developers, there are many of us who want the be edits of a Skype Land Line caller ID. Surely, it is not THAT difficult to set up something.
Posted from Apple iPad
JillC
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 14 of 18 (736 Views)

Exactly. Elaine is again simply explaining the problem, just like Patrick did in the first socalled "reply" to this thread back in November 2012, but we are still waiting for a SOLUTION, so that landline users of skype can also display their caller id - surely, it must be possible to develop an alternative to text messaging for the verification procedure? 

dudzke
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 6
Message 15 of 18 (712 Views)

[ Edited ]

Greetings, everyone,

Yes, you are correct: all I (and Patrick) did was confirm the situation as it stands.  I know of no forthcoming changes to this protocol.  If a paradigm shift were to occur, anything by way of announcements would probably appear in the Skype blogs (  http://blogs.skype.com/ ) or as part of a software update.

Kind regards,

Elaine

P.S. @Onions: please contact Skype Customer Service directly.  Here is a link to the instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service via their secure portal: Contact Customer Service

As you know you intend to contact Customer Service, skip past Step 2 of the instruction where several articles from the FAQ library will appear for you to review, and proceed to Step 3, Continue Support Request (the "button" appears at the lower right corner of the website page). You may also skip past in Step 4 where you will be referred back here to the Community; no need to do this as the Community is where you started.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Please note:   To remove (delete) a Skype Account, you must contact Skype Customer Service directly. We here in the Community cannot process account-related service requests.

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tips: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know, and change your passwords regularly and often.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1948
Message 16 of 18 (654 Views)

Glad to know someone is listening.  I would love it if this feature were available.  Without it, I can't use Skype as a solution for my business.

RichardRoth
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 17 of 18 (516 Views)

That's a choice not a blocker. Google Voice as a clever way (sarcasm) of getting around that self imposed restriction. Instead of sending an SMS, it calls (what a concept) the number you provide. It audibly reads a verification number that you then enter into your account and voila. You've validated the telephone number as one you own or at least have access to. For practical purposes it works similarly to the Skype SMS choice only it's a truly universal way to validate your number. As in it works with ANY NUMBER NOT JUST MOBILE.
Posted from Apple iPad
DumbAlGoverno
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 1
Message 18 of 18 (286 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling