When I call someone, an unusual number shows up on...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

When I call someone, an unusual number shows up on their caller-id.

I have a problem with my Skype service. When I call people, the number: 661-380-3000 appears to them as the number I am calling from. I have no idea what this number is. It's no where close to my skype number.

Please help. I'm paying for an online number for a reason.

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

jacob2i wrote:

I have a problem with my Skype service. When I call people, the number: 661-380-3000 appears to them as the number I am calling from. I have no idea what this number is. It's no where close to my skype number.

Have you enabled your Online Number to be used as your Caller ID?  It is not done automatically.  You should be able to do it through the program on a computer, or log into your account here on the Skype web site (use the "Account" link at the top of the page) and verify your Caller ID settings. Keep in mind that Caller ID may not be passed along to the phones you call, even if you have your Caller ID settings using your Online Number (again, assuming it is a US number or from a country where the number can be used this way).  Online Numbers that can be used as Caller ID should be available as options you can select there.  For example, numbers in the US and UK can be used for Caller ID, but numbers from Australia and Mexico can't. 

Are you calling toll-free numbers with your Skype account?  If so, the Caller ID settings may be irrelevant.  When calling normal phone numbers, Caller ID information is generally passed to the number you call.  For toll-free numbers, another number called ANI is passed along.  For Skype calls, the ANI number is where the call is patched into the US telephone network.  Most of the calls to US numbers are patched into the telephone network either at the 661 area code in the Los Angeles area, or at the 559 area code around Fresno in central California.  When calling toll-free numbers, there is no way to force the number you call to see your Caller ID number.  This also means that toll-free numbers that do not accept calls from those two California area codes may not be accessible with Skype.  Some toll-free numbers limit where they will accept calls from, down to one state or even one area code. 

View solution in original post
jacob2i
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 1 of 8 (3,824 Views)

Re: When I call someone, an unusual number shows up on their caller-id.

jacob2i wrote:

Have you enabled your Online Number to be used as your Caller ID?  It is not done automatically.  You should be able to do it through the program on a computer, or log into your account here on the Skype web site (use the "Account" link at the top of the page) and verify your Caller ID settings. Keep in mind that Caller ID may not be passed along to the phones you call, even if you have your Caller ID settings using your Online Number (again, assuming it is a US number or from a country where the number can be used this way).  Online Numbers that can be used as Caller ID should be available as options you can select there.  For example, numbers in the US and UK can be used for Caller ID, but numbers from Australia and Mexico can't. 

Are you calling toll-free numbers with your Skype account?  If so, the Caller ID settings may be irrelevant.  When calling normal phone numbers, Caller ID information is generally passed to the number you call.  For toll-free numbers, another number called ANI is passed along.  For Skype calls, the ANI number is where the call is patched into the US telephone network.  Most of the calls to US numbers are patched into the telephone network either at the 661 area code in the Los Angeles area, or at the 559 area code around Fresno in central California.  When calling toll-free numbers, there is no way to force the number you call to see your Caller ID number.  This also means that toll-free numbers that do not accept calls from those two California area codes may not be accessible with Skype.  Some toll-free numbers limit where they will accept calls from, down to one state or even one area code. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 636
Message 2 of 8 (3,815 Views)

Thx. That was it though I was pretty sure that I had already done that. When I checked it, it did not have my number in there.

thx!

jacob2i
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 9
Message 3 of 8 (3,807 Views)

Is this a relatively new feature or setting? We've had an online number for a few years and until recently, it has shown up for outgoing calls as our actual number.

itsgabesfault
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 4 of 8 (3,662 Views)

itsgabesfault wrote:

Is this a relatively new feature or setting? We've had an online number for a few years and until recently, it has shown up for outgoing calls as our actual number.

Which number - your Online Number, or the other unusual number?  If you are talking about the other number, it is possible that something changed your Caller ID settings.  As long as I've had Online Numbers, they are never automatically used as your Caller ID when calling telephones from Skype, and require the Skype user to select the Online Number for Caller ID. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 636
Message 5 of 8 (3,659 Views)

Just wanted to say that I had this problem as well.  I just changed my caller ID settings and hopefully that will work.  But I did want to point out that I have been using this online number for several years now too and just in the past few weeks has the caller ID shown something other than my online number.  As far as I remember, I have never set up this feature.  It has just always been automatic until very recently.  For what it's worth...

mmstephenson
Novel Tourist
Message 6 of 8 (3,361 Views)

to learn more about CID, please visit http://www.skype.com/intl/en/features/allfeatures/caller-identification/ or https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA1248/what-is-caller-identification-and-how-does-it-work

If you found my answer useful, you can express that by giving me Kudos ↘. If my suggestion did the trick, mark it as a 'Solution' to help others.
Thank You!
Tamarka
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 45
Message 7 of 8 (3,354 Views)

[ Edited ]

wd9ewk,

Thank you Patrick. That fixed the problem for me.

George__
Novel Adventurer
Message 8 of 8 (2,561 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling