Re: Skype-in numbers in multiple countries, caller...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Accepted Solution

Skype-in numbers in multiple countries, caller ID not dependent on called country

I have a Skype-in number in the Netherlands and the UK. When I use Skype to call someone in Amsterdam I would like my Dutch Skype-in number to be shown. Likewise, when I call someone in London, I would like my UK Skype-in number to be shown.

Sounds logical isn't it? Why is this obvious feature not available?

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer

Accepted Solution

jagel wrote:

Ok. So, _if_ I would have multiple Skype-in numbers in countries where this feature would be allowed, _then_ Skype would automatically use the most appropriate Skype-in numbers as Caller ID for all calls made to these countries?
For example, if I would buy, next to my Dutch and UK Skype-in numbers, also an American Skype-in number, and I would make a call to any country in Europe, would my UK number than be used, whereas all calls to American numbers would show my American Skype-in number as caller ID?

If you have multiple Online Numbers, you would designate one as the "default" for Caller ID.  Then you can also set this up so that other Online Numbers for other countries are used when you call those countries, if those numbers are eligible for use as Caller ID.  You can't designate the use of certain numbers as Caller ID for different countries, or continents (i.e., a US number for Caller ID when calling North America, a UK number when calling Europe, etc.).

Using myself as an example, my US and UK Online Numbers can be used for Caller ID.  I also have numbers in Australia and Mexico, but neither of those can be used for Caller ID.  My US number is the default number for Caller ID with Skype, but I allow my UK number to be used for Caller ID when I call numbers in the UK.  In your case, you would probably want a UK number to be your default number for Caller ID, but allow the use of the US number when you call phones in the States from Skype.  Does that make sense?

View solution in original post
jagel
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 1 of 10 (2,042 Views)

Re: Skype-in numbers in multiple countries, caller ID not dependent on called country

jagel wrote:

I have a Skype-in number in the Netherlands and the UK. When I use Skype to call someone in Amsterdam I would like my Dutch Skype-in number to be shown. Likewise, when I call someone in London, I would like my UK Skype-in number to be shown.

Sounds logical isn't it? Why is this obvious feature not available?

Your question is logical, but doesn't take into account limitations imposed on the use of Online Numbers as Caller ID numbers.  As you have found, your UK Online Number can be used as Caller ID, but your Dutch number can't.  Online Numbers from a few countries (Chile, Denmark, Estonia, Hong Kong, Poland, Sweden, the UK and the US) can be used as Caller ID.  Numbers from other countries can't - either due to local/national regulations, or limitations imposed by Skype's partners that provide these numbers, or a combination of those two reasons. 

If you need to have a Dutch number show up as Caller ID, your only option for Skype would be to go through the two-step verification process for a Dutch mobile number.  Skype sends SMS messages to that number with instructions in them.  If the verification is successful, then you can use that number. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 2 of 10 (2,026 Views)

Re: Skype-in numbers in multiple countries, caller ID not dependent on called country

If I remember correctly, it did work for my Dutch Skype-in number before I had my UK number. Are you really saying that even if I would only have a Dutch Skype-in number, that it would still not work?

Using a Dutch mobile phone is not a practical option I would say. Why would you even have a Skype-in number in the first place if you already have access to a Dutch mobile phone? I know it can be cheaper and all, but the main reason for having a Skype-in number would be  to have a Dutch phone "presence" for people abroad.

jagel
Casual Adventurer
Message 3 of 10 (2,006 Views)

jagel wrote:

If I remember correctly, it did work for my Dutch Skype-in number before I had my UK number. Are you really saying that even if I would only have a Dutch Skype-in number, that it would still not work?

Using a Dutch mobile phone is not a practical option I would say. Why would you even have a Skype-in number in the first place if you already have access to a Dutch mobile phone? I know it can be cheaper and all, but the main reason for having a Skype-in number would be  to have a Dutch phone "presence" for people abroad.

You are correct.  Although Skype may have allowed Dutch Online Numbers to be used as Caller ID in the past, that is not the case now.  If it was your only Online Number, it would still be unavailable for use as Caller ID when calling from Skype.  Skype must operate within limitations imposed by its partner companies that provide the Online Numbers in different countries, and the local/national regulations for using those numbers in each of those countries.  Some are more permissive than others, as you can see with your Dutch and UK Online Numbers.

---
Patrick

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 10 (1,979 Views)

Ok. So, _if_ I would have multiple Skype-in numbers in countries where this feature would be allowed, _then_ Skype would automatically use the most appropriate Skype-in numbers as Caller ID for all calls made to these countries?
For example, if I would buy, next to my Dutch and UK Skype-in numbers, also an American Skype-in number, and I would make a call to any country in Europe, would my UK number than be used, whereas all calls to American numbers would show my American Skype-in number as caller ID?

jagel
Casual Adventurer
Message 5 of 10 (1,976 Views)

jagel wrote:

If you have multiple Online Numbers, you would designate one as the "default" for Caller ID.  Then you can also set this up so that other Online Numbers for other countries are used when you call those countries, if those numbers are eligible for use as Caller ID.  You can't designate the use of certain numbers as Caller ID for different countries, or continents (i.e., a US number for Caller ID when calling North America, a UK number when calling Europe, etc.).

Using myself as an example, my US and UK Online Numbers can be used for Caller ID.  I also have numbers in Australia and Mexico, but neither of those can be used for Caller ID.  My US number is the default number for Caller ID with Skype, but I allow my UK number to be used for Caller ID when I call numbers in the UK.  In your case, you would probably want a UK number to be your default number for Caller ID, but allow the use of the US number when you call phones in the States from Skype.  Does that make sense?

---
Patrick

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 10 (1,973 Views)

Ok, that sort of makes sense, although you would expect that the selection of the right caller ID would be fully automatic, or a selectable option when you call someone. Anyway, thanks a lot for your answer!
jagel
Casual Adventurer
Message 7 of 10 (1,934 Views)

jagel wrote:
Ok, that sort of makes sense, although you would expect that the selection of the right caller ID would be fully automatic, or a selectable option when you call someone. Anyway, thanks a lot for your answer!

Caller ID is something that many Skype users take advantage of when calling telephones, but not everyone wants to have their Online Number or mobile number transmitted to the telephones they call.  I used to be in that group, but have gotten past that hangup over the years. 

A landline or mobile phone has one advantage for Caller ID - the ability to either dial a code or change a setting on the phone at the time you dial a number.  You can do something like that with the Skype program on a computer or by logging into your account on the Skype web site, but it is not as simple to manipulate.

Good luck!

---
Patrick

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 10 (1,924 Views)

Exactly! You would expect that Skype makes things easier than just a normal phone. With regards to Caller-ID that is not (yet?) the case! You would expect these features:

- Smart selection of the most appropriate Caller ID based on region or best rates (for the person that calls you back), so if I am calling to Germany from the US and I have a UK and a US Caller ID than select the UK one by default.

- Selection of a default Caller-ID in the address book, per each Contact's phone number.

- Ability to overrule that default selection in the dialer, per call.

- Ability to disable caller ID all-together in the dialer, per call.

Anyway. One day. :happy:

jagel
Casual Adventurer
Message 9 of 10 (1,856 Views)

I think this is giving me the answer I need but just to double check.

I'm a Brit living in the USA with an expensive local phone service!

My needs are to do away with the local phone service and have a US telephone number for all our domestic US calls.

But I also want to offer our many friends in the UK a UK number that they can call that will ring here in the US house.

Is that possible?

Dogspeak
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 10 of 10 (1,322 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling