Port my long time landline number to Skype?

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Port my long time landline number to Skype?

[ Edited ]

can i transport my long time land line phone number to be my skype phone number?

lilidavis69
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (13,819 Views)

Re: skype phone number???

Hi

No, unfortunately that isn't possible.

There are two options available that might be interest to you.

1. You can configure your Skype account so that when you call  from Skype to somebody on a normal landline or mobile phone, your mobile phone number will appear to them on their display. To do this, go to your account at www.skype.com, select CALL PHONES and then select the Set up a caller identification to display your number on phones you call from Skype.

2. Skype also offers a service called 'online number'. This gives you a normal landline number which you can give to your friends to call you on. When your friends call this number, and you are on Skype, your Skype will ring and you will be able to have a voice call with them. This is ideal if you have friends who don't have Skype who you want to call you.

Shorty
Staff
Staff icon
Kudos: 13
Message 2 of 4 (13,779 Views)

Re: Port my long time landline number to Skype?

[ Edited ]

Yes, and no.

If you have a spare cell phone and a mobile plan, then add a line (no contract) using that spare. This will typically cost $20 to $40 between activation and the first month of add-a-line service. Again DO NOT let them sell you a phone, that will lock you into a contract. Instead, let them sell you a SIM card.

Once your line is with AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, or your carrier of choice you can easily port the number to Skype.

You can shave a few dollars by porting the number to a pre-paid phone ($15 for the handset, $10 for the minutes) but it can be more work to get the number ported. The reason for this is that in the interim, you no longer own that number - the carrier does. You'll win eventually, but the stress isn't worth a $15 savings.

ianarmstrong
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (273 Views)

Re: Port my long time landline number to Skype?

Hi, ianarmstrong, and welcome to the Community,

Re: "...you can easily port the number to Skype."

Me we clarify a few points?

"Port" would be to transfer the number or service to another carrier.  Skype does not support inbound number portability, meaning we cannot bring a land line or mobile number into Skype to use as a Skype Number.

Skype does, however, support outbound number portability, meaning if the carrier to which one would like to take their Skype Number will process the transaction, then the number can be taken to another carrier.

Perhaps what you refer to is call forwarding?  Here is a link to the library of FAQ articles related to how Skype handles call forwarding: https://support.skype.com/en/category/CALL_FORWARDING/

Regards,

Elaine

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Was your question answered? Please click on the Accept as a Solution link so everyone can quickly find what works! Like a post or want to say, "Thank You" - ?? Click on the Kudos button!

Update! :happy:  In my instruction on how to contact Skype Customer Service , the blue "Send" button has been replaced with a green Next button; to file a request via e-mail, click "Send."

Trustworthy information: Brian Krebs: 3 Basic Rules for Online Safety and Consumer Reports: Guide to Internet Security

Online Safety Tip: Do not accept contact invitations from anyone whom you do not know.

Do you have a Skype trick up your sleeve?  Share your Solutions and Tips with us!

Elaine
Moderator icon
Kudos: 1691
Message 4 of 4 (247 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling