Picking an online number for New York City

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Picking an online number for New York City

I wanted to get an Online Number for New York City and got as far as

Select your local area and choose a number

at

https://secure.skype.com/store/skypein/number?voucher=0&fuseaction=skypein.info&country_code=US&vc=0...

But couldn't figure out what to chose among 13 choices listed as New York City Zones 3 through 15.  Is there a difference in the Zones? I notice they all have the same area code - 347.

mjm10036
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 3 (884 Views)

Re: Picking an online number for New York City

mjm10036 wrote:

I wanted to get an Online Number for New York City and got as far as

Select your local area and choose a number

at

https://secure.skype.com/store/skypein/number?voucher=0&fuseaction=skypein.info&country_code=US&vc=0...

But couldn't figure out what to chose among 13 choices listed as New York City Zones 3 through 15.  Is there a difference in the Zones? I notice they all have the same area code - 347.

There are some subtle differences, related to how local phone calls are billed for callers in New York City.  It would not affect how the Online Number works for you - you are not charged for incoming calls made to Skype's Online Numbers, when you answer those calls with Skype.  For those calling you, it can mean the difference between a free call to your Online Number and having to pay a small fee to call your number.  For someone calling from outside the New York City area, it probably doesn't matter which of those zones you use for your Online Number.

I have not found a good concise online reference to those calling zone in the past.  I have found some rather cryptic material that shows which prefixes in each of the New York City area codes are in each of those zones.  The zones are defined by lists of prefixes within each of those area codes, and those lists can be substantial with the growth in mobile phones over the years. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 561
Message 2 of 3 (876 Views)

Re: Picking an online number for New York City

Thanks for the response.  I guess whatever the difference is, I'll just pick one at random and hope for the best.

mjm10036
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 3 (872 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling