Re: Online Numbers for Canada

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Online Numbers for Canada

I note elsewhere that there is apparently still no Online Number facility available for Canadian users.

I enquired about this previously with Skype months ago if not longer, and the same answer prevailed.

WHY? Many of us have used Skype for many months, if not years and I for one am frustrated by the lack of action on this issue. If it is rejection by Canadian authorities, pass this information along, perhaps some user pressure could be generated? Big Brother is a real problem for us at times!

Is it a question of fragmented telephone exchange allocations, and is this any different between US states if so?

Surely this can be resolved, we are tired of being treated as second class citizens, especially when there is no attempt made to explain the issue as far as I can see on Skype.

Thanks for any 22nd Century resolution, or authoritative problem definition at a minimum.

Live Life Large - One Day at a Time!
brianinbc
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 19
Message 1 of 29 (4,984 Views)

Skype Moderators,

A lot of Canadian Customers are obviously looking for Online Canadian Numbers.

There's a bona fide reason why this service is not available. Can you convey why and if this service will ever be made available by Skype?

Thanks Kindly from British Columbia.

dgcourtney
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 6
Message 2 of 29 (4,977 Views)

Yes, bump, I would very much like to have an online number here in Ontario Canada. What is going on that it's not available????
canadian1969
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 4
Message 3 of 29 (4,887 Views)

Hello All,

Unfortunately a Canadian Online # program can't be instigated until the Canadian Telecommunication authorities issue the necessary licenses.

SKYPE STAFF MODERATOR & BETA TESTER
TIME ZONE - US EASTERN - PHILADELPHIA PA USA - UTC MINUS 5 HOURS

I recommend that you always run the latest software version: Windows & Mac

If my advice helped to fix your issue please mark it as a solution to help others.
Please note that I generally don't respond to unsolicited Private Messages. Thank you.
NormanM
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 1324
Message 4 of 29 (4,885 Views)

[ Edited ]

Then what do you make of this post from the thread "Online Number Canada" which includes a letter from the CRTC?

Quote follows:

------------

Hello all-

I suspected battles with the CRTC (them not wanting to let anybody other than Bell "rule the world") was at the root of the problem, so I wrote to the CRTC regarding this issue and this is the response they sent to me. If this is truly the case, then it appears the hold-up is coming from within Skype. It would be nice to hear from personnel at Skype to get a sense of what is happening with regards to online numbers in Canada.

patti2907

Dear Ms. T:

Thank you for taking the time to contact the CRTC regarding the availability of Skype in Canada.

The CRTC is not directly involved in regulating the services provided by Skype.  Wireless, long distance and internet services are competitive services.  These services are subject to very limited CRTC regulation.  The Commission does not regulate their rates, quality or provision of service, or their business practices.

Skype is a software application that allows its users to make telephone calls over the Internet.  Its users download its software and connect with other Skype users who have also downloaded its software for internet voice and video conversations.  This "peer-to-peer" communication falls outside of the regulatory authority of the CRTC.

To the extent that Skype interconnects with the Public Switched Telephone Network in Canada – that is to say, it connects with other telephone numbers whose users have not downloaded the Skype software – Skype has certain obligations.  Skype would be required to register with the CRTC; enter into a business relationship with a Canadian carrier to obtain interconnection to the Public Switched Telephone Network; and, as a matter of public safety, Skype would need to ensure that calls made to 911 are completed through 911 call centres, also known as the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP).  As in the case of numerous other competitive service providers in Canada, it is a business decision of Skype, if it chooses to meet these obligations and offer such a service in Canada. 

Recently, certain smartphones have permitted Skype's software application to be downloaded to offer a wireless service in Wi-Fi hotspots.  This is a matter of private contractual negotiation between Skype, the handset manufacturers and the wireless carriers providing the service. 

For more information about the services offered by Skype, or its availability with your service provider, you should contact Skype and your service provider.  If you make Skype aware of your desire for its services it may keep this in mind when it is assessing its business decisions as to the types of services it will make available.

Yours truly,

Chantal Proulx
CRTC Client Services

1-877-249-2782       /télécopieur/facsimile 819-994-0218
Conseil de la radiodiffusion et des télécommunications canadiennes / Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N2
Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission / Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N2
Gouvernement du Canada / Government of Canada

Donald_S
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 8
Message 5 of 29 (4,852 Views)

As per the message from Donald S, the CRTC is not the hold up. What is? What exactly is Skype doing or waiting for, before offering online numbers in Canada?
rjsargent
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 6 of 29 (4,788 Views)

I live in the UK but am a Canadian and have been sending support request to Skype for the last 3 years for an update on their stance on the Online numbers in Canada.  It isnt the CRTC and I hope now that Microsoft are driving the bus that we might get some action on this issue.  Hiding behind the CRTC is truely 20th century thinking :surprised:

ealuk
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 2
Message 7 of 29 (4,581 Views)

What is Skype waiting for, before it can offer online numbers in Canada?  From my reading of the e-mail response of the CRTC in this thread, it appears the requirement for connecting callers to 911 is the hangup. In this paragraph from that response:

To the extent that Skype interconnects with the Public Switched Telephone Network in Canada – that is to say, it connects with other telephone numbers whose users have not downloaded the Skype software – Skype has certain obligations.  Skype would be required to register with the CRTC; enter into a business relationship with a Canadian carrier to obtain interconnection to the Public Switched Telephone Network; and, as a matter of public safety, Skype would need to ensure that calls made to 911 are completed through 911 call centres, also known as the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP).  As in the case of numerous other competitive service providers in Canada, it is a business decision of Skype, if it chooses to meet these obligations and offer such a service in Canada.

Canada apparently has a requirement for Skype (like any other telephone carrier operating in Canada) to connect calls to 911 (think 999 in the UK, 000 in Australia, 112 on many GSM mobile phone networks, etc.).  Skype always advises that its service is not intended for emergency calls.  Unless Skype changed it stance on handling calls to emergency numbers like 911, 999, 000, etc., it appears that a change to the Canadian regulations regarding emergency calls will have to happen first. 

This is a strange one, in that I can use Skype right now to call Canadian phone numbers now without having an online number in Canada.  Having a online number in Canada would allow for incoming calls, and - in the Skype context - that's it.  Unfortunately, government regulations are some times (or many times?) behind the times.  Oh well...  I still enjoy using Skype, including the online numbers (I have 4 of them).

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 8 of 29 (4,563 Views)

Surely other countries had similar issues with their emergency assistance numbers - why should it be so hard, when , as mentioned we can already use it for outgoing calls? The outgoing caller would be the one calling for help anyway - not someone calling in to a Skype phone. MagicJack doesn't seem to have trouble with it, how is this really any different from the liability angle, assuming they fear the liability...

oeg
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 9 of 29 (4,463 Views)

oeg wrote:

Surely other countries had similar issues with their emergency assistance numbers - why should it be so hard, when , as mentioned we can already use it for outgoing calls? The outgoing caller would be the one calling for help anyway - not someone calling in to a Skype phone. MagicJack doesn't seem to have trouble with it, how is this really any different from the liability angle, assuming they fear the liability...

In the US, the communications regulator (Federal Communications Commission, or FCC) has deemed services like Skype to be "nomadic", and have exempted them from the requirement to access the 911 emergency-services number.  Other countries have taken similar steps.  The Canadian CRTC apparently needs toupdate its regulations to allow Skype and similar services to function without the requirement to reach 911.  Until then, the situation won't change. 

MagicJack requires US and Canadian subscribers to have an address registered in the MagicJack account.  This address is used for routing 911 calls to the appropriate emergency-services center, since there is no nationwide 911 call center in either country.  This is for those who use the MagicJack device, not the MagicJack smartphone app (which has no capability of reaching 911 in either the US or Canada).  Note that Skype does not ask for your address when obtaining most Online Numbers (for some countries, you are required to provide that as part of the process of purchasing the number). 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 10 of 29 (4,452 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling