Online Number and Subscriptions

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Online Number and Subscriptions

Hi all,

Just want to check that I have got this right to avoid disappointment.

I am currently away in the USA for an extended period and would like my friends and family in England to be able to call me at a standard local rate.

My question is. If i buy an online number based in the UK and then a subscription for unlimited USA Mobiles & Landlines will I be able to forward this to my cell phone number here in the USA and have them still only pay a UK local rate. Will it just use the subscription I have purchased to forward the calls or would I still need skype credit?

Also I presume it won't cost me any extra on my cell providers end to receive these calls as they should be US based?

Thanks in advance

Matt

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

I am currently away in the USA for an extended period and would like my friends and family in England to be able to call me at a standard local rate.

My question is. If i buy an online number based in the UK and then a subscription for unlimited USA Mobiles & Landlines will I be able to forward this to my cell phone number here in the USA and have them still only pay a UK local rate. Will it just use the subscription I have purchased to forward the calls or would I still need skype credit?

You are correct.   Assuming that you are able to purchase an Online Number from Skype that would be a local call for your people in the UK, that takes care of what they would dial to reach you.  Couple that with the Unlimited USA subscription that covers calling (and call forwarding) to both landline and mobile phones, and you have a working solution for allowing your UK people to reach you in the USA without paying international call charges. Of course, Skype has a fair-use policy for its subscriptions (number of different phone numbers you can call in a day, or number of minutes used in a month), so be mindful of that.  When logged into Skype and receiving those calls from your UK people, you would be using a subscription - and not subject to the fair-use policy governing subscriptions. 

Also I presume it won't cost me any extra on my cell providers end to receive these calls as they should be US based?

You are correct on this point, also.  US mobile carriers don't care where your calls are coming from, since you would either have an "unlimited" voice plan on your US-based mobile or those calls would be deducted from your monthly allotment of minutes for voice calls.  Be mindful of what you have in your US mobile plan, if you do not have an "unlimited" plan for voice calls - especially if you use a prepaid mobile plan.  Once you exceed your monthly allotment, the per-minute charges from the US mobile carrier may be a shock.

I use Online Numbers in the way you are wanting to for your time in the US.  I have an Online Number here and in 3 other countries (UK, Australia, and Mexico).  These are great ways for those on phones in those places to avoid international call charges.  Getting them to use Skype would be better, as we could either have Skype-to-Skype calls that are completely free - or their calls from Skype would be forwarded to my mobile phone (free for them, and the forwarded calls are covered under my subscription). Until then, the Online Numbers are powerful tools.

Good luck!

Patrick

View solution in original post
matthewg92
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 7 (1,084 Views)

Re: Online Number and Subscriptions

[ Edited ]

You are correct.   Assuming that you are able to purchase an Online Number from Skype that would be a local call for your people in the UK, that takes care of what they would dial to reach you.  Couple that with the Unlimited USA subscription that covers calling (and call forwarding) to both landline and mobile phones, and you have a working solution for allowing your UK people to reach you in the USA without paying international call charges. Of course, Skype has a fair-use policy for its subscriptions (number of different phone numbers you can call in a day, or number of minutes used in a month), so be mindful of that.  When logged into Skype and receiving those calls from your UK people, you would be using a subscription - and not subject to the fair-use policy governing subscriptions. 

You are correct on this point, also.  US mobile carriers don't care where your calls are coming from, since you would either have an "unlimited" voice plan on your US-based mobile or those calls would be deducted from your monthly allotment of minutes for voice calls.  Be mindful of what you have in your US mobile plan, if you do not have an "unlimited" plan for voice calls - especially if you use a prepaid mobile plan.  Once you exceed your monthly allotment, the per-minute charges from the US mobile carrier may be a shock.

I use Online Numbers in the way you are wanting to for your time in the US.  I have an Online Number here and in 3 other countries (UK, Australia, and Mexico).  These are great ways for those on phones in those places to avoid international call charges.  Getting them to use Skype would be better, as we could either have Skype-to-Skype calls that are completely free - or their calls from Skype would be forwarded to my mobile phone (free for them, and the forwarded calls are covered under my subscription). Until then, the Online Numbers are powerful tools.

Good luck!

Patrick

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 634
Message 2 of 7 (1,074 Views)

Thank you very much for that response it was exactly what I wanted!

Just to clarify the point you made above. I am trying to get a 1 month rolling contract here in the USA with t-mobile which includes 100 minutes. I just wanted to check that it is not considered the norm for minutes to be taken off for incoming calls (Calls received using my online number) rather outgoing calls that i make?

If I purchased the products I mentioned earlier would the call from my Skype online number come in as a local call to my cell phone on T-Mobile or an international?

Thanks

Matt

matthewg92
Novel Adventurer
Message 3 of 7 (1,068 Views)

Just to clarify the point you made above. I am trying to get a 1 month rolling contract here in the USA with t-mobile which includes 100 minutes. I just wanted to check that it is not considered the norm for minutes to be taken off for incoming calls (Calls received using my online number) rather outgoing calls that i make?

Here in the US, it varies.  Unless your plan specifically states you have unlimited inbound calls, your 100-minute allotment may be used on those incoming calls forwarded from Skype.  This is common, as callers do not pay extra to ring mobile numbers in the US, as is the case in many places around the world - including the UK.   You will want to confirm this with T-Mobile. 

If I purchased the products I mentioned earlier would the call from my Skype online number come in as a local call to my cell phone on T-Mobile or an international?

Calls you receive through your Online Number will probably show up with the Caller ID from the phone calling you.  I usually get the calling number when I'm called from UK numbers through my Online Numbers.  This would look like an international call, even though the call is being patched into the US telephone network by Skype and not being routed over the telephone network from the UK - and would not matter for your mobile phone's monthly plan.  For those numbers that call you without any Caller ID, you may see your own Skype Online Number on your mobile's display, or other strange numbers - some of which may be phone numbers in California. 

Hope that helps clear things up a little more.  Check with T-Mobile on your plan, to verify if incoming calls count against that 100-minute allotment.  You may end up having to go with more minutes, if not an "unlimited" plan, if incoming calls are counted in that total.

---
Patrick

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 4 of 7 (1,064 Views)

I am in Canada and planning a trip to Europe - several E-European countries - Slovakia, Czech, Rumania, Montenegro etc... Which country should I use to have my original skype number associated with so my friends could call me from Canada?
olivianotl
Novel Tourist
Message 5 of 7 (761 Views)

olivianotl wrote:
I am in Canada and planning a trip to Europe - several E-European countries - Slovakia, Czech, Rumania, Montenegro etc... Which country should I use to have my original skype number associated with so my friends could call me from Canada?

Since Skype does not offer Online Numbers in Canada, you may consider getting a number somewhere in the US. The only issue there is that your friends would be making an international call across the US/Canada border every time to reach you, but this is probably cheaper than having them call a European number in any of the countries you are visiting (if there are Online Numbers available in those places). 

Otherwise, try to get your friends on Skype.  Then they could call your Skype account name from their Skype accounts, which would be free calling for all. 

---
Patrick

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 7 (736 Views)

trying to retrive online number code via phone but the pre recorded message is too quick what can i do to retrive ?

jeanwilks
Novel Tourist
Message 7 of 7 (686 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling