Re: Online Number Canada

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Patti2907:

May I assume that this CRTC letter was dated in 2011? Because if so, I find it to be surprising that Mlle Proulx is seemingly unaware that Skype has for some time been offering out of network calls to landlines in Canada. She, at best, is silent on what arrangement Skype may presently enjoy with the CRTC:

To the extent that Skype interconnects with the Public Switched Telephone Network in Canada – that is to say, it connects with other telephone numbers whose users have not downloaded the Skype software – Skype has certain obligations.  Skype would be required to register with the CRTC; enter into a business relationship with a Canadian carrier to obtain interconnection to the Public Switched Telephone Network; and, as a matter of public safety, Skype would need to ensure that calls made to 911 are completed through 911 call centres, also known as the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP).

That is not to suggest that Skype has somehow subverted CRTC regulatory requirements. 

Regardless, this letter does tend to return the ball to Skype's court, Norm Musgrave's position notwithstanding of course. Are his sources unreliable or are his comments made without detailed knowledge of the Canadian system?

We need as stated later to have an accurate answer from SKYPE, not from a Moderator who has opted for what may be an overly generalized reply at best.

At this juncture partial information merely serves to obfuscate the whole picture because of its lack of specifics as to what Skype has tried to do.

Live Life Large - One Day at a Time!
brianinbc
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 20
Message 61 of 117 (3,253 Views)

It is a shame that canadian numbers are not offered it seems silly. If someone from skype wants to contact me I'll have a crack at sorting it out.

0 Kudos
Nickthedevil
Routine Adventurer
Kudos: 3
Message 62 of 117 (3,243 Views)

It's interesting that I can have 20 Skype To Go numbers in Canada and call whoever I want with them, I can even direct the number to my Skype account. Yet I cannot have a number directly registered with my account that has caller display.

It's obvious Skype has the ability to aquire Canadian area codes and phone numbers, calls can be made from and to them. It's clear that there are no issues getting onto the telephone networks here. So this begs the question... WTF?

RobertMcGill
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 63 of 117 (3,135 Views)

A solution that works for me...

Ok, nobody anywhere seems to have a clear answer for this and I've been waiting for too long so I took it upon myself to learn a bit more about how the system works and how I can twist it to work for me, here's what I came up with...

There's a company called DIDWW (dot com) who sells DID's, these are essentially inbound phone numbers for $5.00 USD a month, I believe they're out of Ireland.  They've got lots of Canadian cities covered and even recently have added quite a lot of smaller towns (thankfully including mine). 

They were able to take my existing phone number over from what was my existing phone provider (Cogeco, but Bell numbers work as well as my dad has since done the same with his).  Once they have control of your phone number you can point it at any number of services, they call them "Mappings".  They currently offer: SIP Accounts, PSTN Numbers, MSN, GTalk, and yes.... Skype.  You just need to enter your credentials.  Within the system you can even create "Ring Groups" or "Hunt Groups" which can interface with multiple Mappings at the same time or in a specific order... this leads me to the one Caveat with Skype....

DID to Skype works great, however it DOES NOT WORK WITH SKYPE VOICEMAIL.  All is not lost though.  There are free SIP Account Providers which offer included voice mail services, the two I've tried are CallCentric (dot com) and PBXes (dot org). CC is much easier for the laymen, but PBXes offers some really powerful features. Up to you, both work fine.

So in order to get this to work, you need to do a little bit of setup... at DIDWW, create two "Mappings", the first to your Skype Account, the second to your SIP Account.  Then, again at DIDWW, create a "Hunt Group".  A hunt group will try each service you add for a period of time you set and then move onto the next until one answers.  In this case, add your mapping for Skype as the first one and set a time of say 15 seconds, then set the SIP Account mapping as the second, again for 15 seconds (although this one doesn't really matter).  The reason the second time setting doesnt matter is because, when you're not logged into your SIP account, it goes directly to voice mail.  Just ensure that your Skype voice mail setting (if you have a subscription) is set to something longer than you set it at DIDWW. You can set up your SIP account to then email you your voicemails if you ever miss calls.

So in short, when someone calls, it rings your Skype account for 15 seconds, gives up and goes to voicemail.  They are none the wiser it was done like this, and you my friend have a Skype-In-esk number.

Enjoy.  BTW, I take no responsiblity if you screw this up, I'm just telling you what worked for me.

Cheers!

ecommunities
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 2
Message 64 of 117 (3,126 Views)

Re: A solution that works for me...

I guess my concern is that I would not use this feature as much as many, and what you have detailed seems like an awful bother (=a lot of work)! Thanks, but my main concern has to be that Skype has NOT got their act together. Unless and until they get this feature in place here, I will consider changing away from Skype before going through the described hoops.
I do not know how many feel the way I do, but I thank you in any event for sharing your efforts in an understandable way.
0 Kudos
brianinbc
Routine Adventurer
Message 65 of 117 (3,103 Views)

My concern is that we appear to have become a third world country.  We can't get the simplest of technologies without a prolonged battle.  I thought with Microsoft buying Skype there might be some hope but that hasn't proven to be true.  I'd be just as happy to switch to Google Voice but... we can't have that either -- with the exception of the lucky few who live in 403.  

0 Kudos
jckelly
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 66 of 117 (3,024 Views)

jckelly wrote:

My concern is that we appear to have become a third world country.  We can't get the simplest of technologies without a prolonged battle.  I thought with Microsoft buying Skype there might be some hope but that hasn't proven to be true.  I'd be just as happy to switch to Google Voice but... we can't have that either -- with the exception of the lucky few who live in 403.  

I had been waiting for Skype to provide online numbers in Canada.  And now it seems Dell has beat them to the punch with dellvoice.ca ... gives you a free canadian number, and you can make and receive unlimited calls to/from Canada.  It also has 911 support (but only reports the home address you used when you sign up if you call 911 with the service).  Voicemail is also included for free.  It's baffling that Skype has not been able to offer online Canadian numbers and yet Dell has ... and for free at that!

sabrex
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 5
Message 67 of 117 (2,819 Views)

Thanks for this sabrex

I expressed much the same view as jckelly previously, but smell the coffee folks, MS is US for us in Canada. 
I  had not looked at Google's offering and am sorry if they too cannot climb over the 49th in a more meaningful way.

Cheers 

brianinbc
Routine Adventurer
Message 68 of 117 (2,735 Views)

Hello 

Firstly, I belive the issue is the fact that the CRTC is enforcing the foreign business rules as they were up untill a few days ago (they were just updated by the house this week); -- " ..enter into a business relationship with a Canadian carrier.."

Also, if you notice on all parts of making calls via skype it disclaims any use with 911, CRTC is requiring that it function [as a developer, this is not a trivial problem when dealing with VOIP since geoip is not always accurate nor does it map to the emergency calling zones.] Hence it may not be cost effective for Skype to bother complying with our rules when it can make money elsewhere without the need to develope emergency call solutions. 

snip-it from letter posted: 

'Skype would be required to register with the CRTC; enter into a business relationship with a Canadian carrier to obtain interconnection to the Public Switched Telephone Network; and, as a matter of public safety, Skype would need to ensure that calls made to 911 are completed through 911 call centres, also known as the Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP). '

I for one have looked else where to gain Canadian and other US numbers by using Telephone Aliases that map to my business number, and when calling out via skype I just plugin the number I want displayed. 

Cheers, 

Ramon

0 Kudos
cognition_mind
Novel Tourist
Message 69 of 117 (2,555 Views)

With the news all over the CBC how foreign carriers can now enter the domestic market, I assume that the gates are now open to Skype to provide Canadian phone numbers? I am curious whether there is finally light at the end of the tunnel.
0 Kudos
laylowflow
Novel Tourist
Message 70 of 117 (2,549 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling