ONLINE CANADIAN NUMBER???

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ONLINE CANADIAN NUMBER???

I've been a SKYPE user for over  a decade with a US online number. I've relocated to Calgary and want to buy a CANADIAN online number...-but CANADA does NOT even show up in my list of country choices on the online number buy page. WHY?

coralcallender
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 25
Message 1 of 20 (33,899 Views)

Re: ONLINE CANADIAN NUMBER???

I couldn't agree more with you. It's about time Skype added Canadian numbers to their pool. I am going to have to get a US phone number + Unlimited US calling on my cell so i can forward numbers to a US skype number. It's stupid but it works.
notjoe
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 18
Message 2 of 20 (33,892 Views)

This really sucks, I have purchased skype credits hoping that I can get a Canadian online number, but as far as I can see I'm not able to, as you Guys are mentioning that we can't have a Canadian online number I'm pissed and disappointed but appreciate the information... Hope we will pass those unknown reasons that a country like Canada is not able to be at a level of expectations of skype to be part of it, or it's some other stupid money issue Canadian telecomunication companies won't allow bcs all their stupid fees will be eliminated soon! :wink:
Posted from Apple iPad
Kangal-1
Novel Tourist
Kudos: 3
Message 3 of 20 (33,875 Views)

Hi!

The problem with Skype offering online numbers in Canada appears to be a conflict between Skype's policy of not connecting calls to emergency-service numbers (911 in Canada and the USA, 999 in the UK, 000 in Australia, etc.) and the Canadian telecom regulator's requirement of a telephone provider to connect calls to 911.  On another discussion thread covering this same topic, one poster copied the response to an e-mail from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC - like the US FCC) that explains this:

http://community.skype.com/t5/Online-Number/Online-Numbers-for-Canada/m-p/179230/highlight/true#M379

It is interesting that Skype users can call Canadian phone numbers today, without the ability to reach 911 in Canada.  All the Online Number provides is a way to receive calls, and that's it.  The Canadian authorities don't seem to accept that as a reason not to require providers like Skype to connect calls to 911.

Since other countries are allowing Skype to provide Online Numbers without a requirement to connect callers to emergency-service numbers, I don't see anything changing for Canada until the Canadian government changes its regulations.  Skype clearly lists the countries that it has Online Numbers for, which everyone should consult before purchasing Skype Credit for a number that isn't available from Skype. 

Sorry if this isn't the answer all of you are looking for, but that's where things stand at this time. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 632
Message 4 of 20 (33,868 Views)

It's not clear to me that the response from the CRTC addressed the question (or maybe the question was not phrased correctly) as they talked about Skype service, which is clearly an internet based software service, which is clearly out of the jurisdiction of the CRTC.

Skype must already have access to the PSTN since they can terminate calls in Canada and this is not a question of Skype offering service in Canada, because clearly it does.

This is a question of Skype being allowed to allocate Canadian numbers which terminate on a Skype connection. It still might be worthwhile to send more letters to the CRTC to clarify the ruling and whether or not it is a failure of Skype to do something or because there is blocking legislation (in which case, enough public pressure applied and it is possible to change). It is not often that the US and Canadian telecommunications systems are out of sync wrt capabilities.

Steve

0 Kudos
daltxguy
Casual Tourist
Kudos: 0
Message 5 of 20 (33,527 Views)

daltxguy wrote:

It's not clear to me that the response from the CRTC addressed the question (or maybe the question was not phrased correctly) as they talked about Skype service, which is clearly an internet based software service, which is clearly out of the jurisdiction of the CRTC.

Skype must already have access to the PSTN since they can terminate calls in Canada and this is not a question of Skype offering service in Canada, because clearly it does.

This is a question of Skype being allowed to allocate Canadian numbers which terminate on a Skype connection. It still might be worthwhile to send more letters to the CRTC to clarify the ruling and whether or not it is a failure of Skype to do something or because there is blocking legislation (in which case, enough public pressure applied and it is possible to change). It is not often that the US and Canadian telecommunications systems are out of sync wrt capabilities.

Steve

Skype is more than an "Internet based software service".  In order for Skype to offer Online Numbers in Canada which would tie into the Canadian telephone network, it has to comply with the CRTC's requirement to connect calls to 911 - something it does not do at this time.  That is the hangup.  Either Skype has to provide access to 911 (it is now providing limited access to 999 in the UK and 000 in Australia now, but not for other countries), or the CRTC needs to reclassify Skype as the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the United States has done (Skype is deemed a nomadic VOIP service, which is not required to connect US-based users to 911), and is the case for other countries where Skype has Online Numbers. 

You're correct in that telecommunications in the USA and Canada are usually kept in sync.  The issue of Online Numbers in Canada is not a new one for Skype.  It has been a hot topic on this forum in many different discussion threads for a long time.  Until something changes on one side (CRTC changes its regulations to allow services like Skype to offer telephone numbers without the 911 requirement) or the other (Skype sets up another limited circumstance where Canadian users can access 911 from Skype), this won't change.  Even if the CRTC were to make the desired changes to the Canadian telecommunications regulations, then Skype would have to find a partner in Canada willing to offer the Online Number service at a price Skype deems reasonable (since Skype currently doesn't offer Online Numbers at different prices based on the country). 

---
Patrick

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 6 of 20 (33,521 Views)

Re: ONLINE Apanish Number

Hi, I live in London but I need to buy a online spanish number, this is to give to potencial custumers the facility to call from they own contry but I need to unswer in uk this is posible?
0 Kudos
oscaruk123
Casual Tourist
Message 7 of 20 (33,281 Views)

Re: ONLINE Apanish Number

oscaruk123 wrote:
Hi, I live in London but I need to buy a online spanish number, this is to give to potencial custumers the facility to call from they own contry but I need to unswer in uk this is posible?

Sorry, Skype does not offer Online Numbers in Spain at this time. 

---
Patrick

0 Kudos
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Message 8 of 20 (33,276 Views)

lol I wouldnt call the cops for help
0 Kudos
wesleyscrivens
Novel Tourist
Message 9 of 20 (32,213 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yip, the big boys might have their hand in this one. I'm bettin the 911 issue is just being used as a cover to keep Skype from stealing major amounts of business from large Canadian voip companies... I hope I'm wrong.

Gaianna
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 8
Message 10 of 20 (31,632 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling