Re: New York Area Code - Online Number

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

New York Area Code - Online Number

If I buy an online number (new york area code) and I am out of the country, but in a wifi zone (or a phone with a data plan), and have skype on (on the iphone), will it ring through?

Thanks

stephenl930
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (650 Views)

stephenl930 wrote:

If I buy an online number (new york area code) and I am out of the country, but in a wifi zone (or a phone with a data plan), and have skype on (on the iphone), will it ring through?

Thanks

Yes, with one condition.  From the Skype program on a computer (not your iPhone), make sure to set the Privacy setting for Online Numbers to allow calls from anyone to your Online Number.  Then you would be able to receive calls on your Online Number wherever you are logged into Skype. 

If you use your iPhone on a foreign mobile network to log into Skype and make/receive calls, you will be charged for roaming data usage.  This can be substantial, so using WiFi is probably the better way to use Skype when you are outside your home country.

Good luck!

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 610
Message 2 of 4 (631 Views)

And there are no additional charges with an online number? Just the monthly subscription fee?
stephenl930
Casual Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (625 Views)

stephenl930 wrote:
And there are no additional charges with an online number? Just the monthly subscription fee?

Not when you receive calls to your Online Number when logged into Skype.  You pay the fee for the Online Number, in 3- or 12-month increments, and that's it. 

The only way Skype charges for those calls is if you use Call Forwarding to send calls to your Skype account out to a telephone number.  Then that is just like making the call yourself from Skype to that telephone number - you need either Skype Credit or a subscription to cover the cost of the call to that number.  Otherwise, as long as you are logged into Skype, Skype will not charge you for incoming calls on that Online Number. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 610
Message 4 of 4 (617 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling