Re: Can I call out on my online number? Or just r...

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!

Can I call out on my online number? Or just receive calls?

I just purchased an online number for a year.  I thought I could call out, but I'm either doing something wrong, or I misunderstood the online number features.  Help!

matthewbachali
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 8 (232 Views)

Re: Can I call out on my online number? Or just receive calls?

Online Numbers are for incoming calls only, if you wish to make outgoing calls then you need either Skype Credit or a subscription.

If you can answering following questions then I can help you figure out most suitable services :wink:

1) Which country you wish to call?
2) Landlines or mobiles?
3) What's the expected amount of calling minutes per month?
4) From which country you expect to receive incoming calls?

If answer was helpful please mark it with Kudos and if issue is resolved mark it with solution. This will help other users find this answer more easily. Thanks in advance!
Andre
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 698
Message 2 of 8 (224 Views)

Okay, this is good to  know.  I did just get a call in from a friend so I know the calls in to my number work.

I now live in Japan and want to call back home to the USA. 

Landlines and mobile phones.

Minutes per month will be moderate- just for personal calls.

Incoming will come into Japan.

Thanks for help-

matthewbachali
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 8 (221 Views)

Thanks for the info.

Outgoing calls to US

With US it's easy since there landlines and mobiles have the same calling rate :happy:

You can use either Skype Credit or a subscription to cover calling costs.

Skype Credit is good if you make only few occasional calls per week and you will be charged:
2.3 cents per minute - http://www.skype.com/go/rates
4.9 cents per call - www.skype.com/go/connectionfee

With subscription you make fixed payment per month and there's no connection fee.

For example you can get Unlimited US from: http://www.skype.com/go/subscriptions

Subscription is great if you make lot of calls, because it doesn't have connection fee and if you get unlimited subscription then there's also no rate per minute. You can call as much as you wish :happy:

Incoming calls

I can see you purchased Online Number for a year which cost $60, but with a subscription you get Online Number for a year with $30. (50% less)

Therefore I would recommend contacting Skype Customer Service to get this discount:

https://support.skype.com/faq/FA1170

They would probably need to reverse your current order, once you purchase subscription you can get the same number back with $30.

If answer was helpful please mark it with Kudos and if issue is resolved mark it with solution. This will help other users find this answer more easily. Thanks in advance!
Andre
Staff Moderator
Staff Moderator icon
Kudos: 698
Message 4 of 8 (212 Views)

You are able to make outgoing calls, but there is a limit (up to 600 minutes of calls per month - or something like that).  You need to check the terms and conditions for the "unlimited" calling plan.

angel-argyrakis
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 5 of 8 (199 Views)

angel-argyrakis wrote:

You are able to make outgoing calls, but there is a limit (up to 600 minutes of calls per month - or something like that).  You need to check the terms and conditions for the "unlimited" calling plan.

The fair-use policy for subscriptions used to cite a monthly limit of 10000 minutes, a daily limit of calling up to 50 different phone numbers, and other details.  Those were changed recently.  The policy now states that all calls will be disconnected after 2 hours, among other things.  The current fair-use policy, revised last May, is below:

Fair Usage Policy

At Skype, we want all of our customers to get the best calling plans, known as ‘subscriptions’, at the lowest possible price. This Fair Usage Policy ("FUP") is designed to prevent fraud and abuse of our subscriptions by a small number of users.

Subject to this FUP, Skype’s unlimited subscriptions allow unlimited calls to landlines in the applicable subscription countries (excluding special, premium, service and non-geographic numbers). Unlimited calls to mobiles may also be included where stated at the time of purchase. All calls will be disconnected and require a re-dial after a 2-hour duration.

Skype’s subscriptions are for personal, individual, non-commercial use only, in accordance with our Terms of Use and this FUP (“Legitimate Use”). The following is a non-exhaustive list of practices that would not be considered Legitimate Use:

• Using subscriptions for commercial purposes or commercial gain, for example telemarketing or call centre operations;
  • Re-selling subscription minutes;
  • Sharing subscriptions between users whether via a PBX, call centre, computer or any other means;
  • Calling numbers (whether individually, sequentially or automatically) to generate income for yourself or others as a result of placing the call;
  • Regular calls of short duration or calls to multiple numbers in a short period of time.

Other practices may be relevant in determining Legitimate Use and Skype reserves the right to take any unlawful, prohibited, abnormal or unusual activity into account in making its determination. Skype may at its option, terminate its relationship with you, or may suspend your subscription immediately if it determines you are using your subscription contrary to this FUP or Skype’s Terms of Use. Where reasonable, Skype will provide you with notice of improper usage before suspension or termination of your subscription and, if appropriate, Skype may offer you an alternative subscription.

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 6 of 8 (192 Views)

thanks for the updated policy....the 2 hour thing is definitely new (but I am not on the phone that long at one time)....guess I should read the T & C when I renew the number, huh?

angel-argyrakis
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 1
Message 7 of 8 (191 Views)

angel-argyrakis wrote:

thanks for the updated policy....the 2 hour thing is definitely new (but I am not on the phone that long at one time)....guess I should read the T & C when I renew the number, huh?

Actually, the 2-hour limit would cover outgoing calls under one of the subscriptions.  It would have nothing to do with receiving calls, but there may be some other gotchas in the Online Number terms/conditions.  I don't remember anything specifically about the length or number of calls to an Online Number. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 608
Message 8 of 8 (183 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling