661 Area Code

Welcome to the Skype community. To get started please read our short welcome post. Thanks!
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

661 Area Code

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Does a 661-xxx-xxxx Skype number usually originate from overseas? (she is calling me on my cell phone in California)

I have reason to believe that I am receiving a call from a woman in Taiwan, although she says that she is in CA (not in the 661 area code).  I have received calls from the same woman on Skype from 661-xxx-xxxx, 661-xxx-xxxx and 661-xxx-xxxx.  Is there any way to confirm the continent or country of origin?

Many thanks!

*edited for privacy*

wd9ewk
Super Adventurer

images.message_type_solution.altAccepted Solution

karen92625 wrote:
Thank you so much for your quick reply! I hate to ask a question with an obvious answer, but can you please clarify the statement "Skype is patching telephone calls into the US phone network": 1. Does this mean that the calls could literally be originating from anywhere around the world, including from within the US? Or 2. Does this mean that they're being patched into the US network from outside the US? Thank you again!

Calls could be originating from Skype users almost anywhere in the world, including the US.  Skype routes calls across the Internet, and then patches into the telephone network at some location near the destination phone number to connect those calls to telephone numbers.   For calls to the USA, and possibly to Canada, these calls are entering the phone network from points in California (661 or 559 area codes, typically). 

View solution in original post
karen92625
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 1 of 4 (37,822 Views)

Re: 661 Area Code

[ Edited ]

karen92625 wrote:

Hi,

Does a 661-xxx-xxxx Skype number usually originate from overseas? (she is calling me on my cell phone in California)

I have reason to believe that I am receiving a call from a woman in Taiwan, although she says that she is in CA (not in the 661 area code).  I have received calls from the same woman on Skype from 661-xxx-xxxx, 661-xxx-xxxx and 661-xxx-xxxx.  Is there any way to confirm the continent or country of origin?

Many thanks!

The 661 numbers you are seeing are where Skype is patching telephone calls into the US telephone network.  The callers could be anywhere in the world, and using Skype to call telephones in the US. 

Unfortunately, there is no way to know from those numbers where a call originated.  If you feel that these calls are harassing or threatening, you should contact your local law enforcement agency and file a report with them.  Then the law enforcement agency could contact Skype as part of any investigation of the matter. 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 657
Message 2 of 4 (37,812 Views)

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I hate to ask a question with an obvious answer, but can you please clarify the statement "Skype is patching telephone calls into the US phone network": 1. Does this mean that the calls could literally be originating from anywhere around the world, including from within the US? Or 2. Does this mean that they're being patched into the US network from outside the US? Thank you again!
Posted from Apple iPhone
karen92625
Novel Adventurer
Kudos: 0
Message 3 of 4 (37,806 Views)

karen92625 wrote:

Calls could be originating from Skype users almost anywhere in the world, including the US.  Skype routes calls across the Internet, and then patches into the telephone network at some location near the destination phone number to connect those calls to telephone numbers.   For calls to the USA, and possibly to Canada, these calls are entering the phone network from points in California (661 or 559 area codes, typically). 

---
Patrick

Location/Ubicacion: Arizona USA
Time Zone/Hora Local: UTC/GMT -7

If this message has adequately addressed your issue, please click on the “Accept as Solution” button. If you found a post useful then please "Give Kudos" at the bottom of my post, so that this information can benefit others.

Si esto mensaje le ha ayudado, por favor haga clic en "Aceptar como solución". Si encuentra un mensaje útil, por favor "Da Kudos" al final del mensaje, por lo que esta información puede beneficiar a otros.

I am not a Skype employee. No soy un empleado de Skype.
wd9ewk
Super Adventurer
Kudos: 657
Message 4 of 4 (37,801 Views)

© 2014 Skype and/or Microsoft. The Skype name, associated trade marks and logos and the "S" logo are trade marks of Skype or related entities. Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use and Privacy and Cookie policy.

No emergency calls with Skype
Skype is not a replacement for your telephone and can't be used for emergency calling